Friday, October 17, 2003

Poem for Friday and <a href


Sonnet LXXVIII: Body's Beauty
By Dante Gabriel Rossetti


Of Adam's first wife, Lilith, it is told
(The witch he loved before the gift of Eve,)
That, ere the snake's, her sweet tongue could deceive,
And her enchanted hair was the first gold.
And still she sits, young while the earth is old,
And, subtly of herself contemplative,
Draws men to watch the bright web she can weave,
Till heart and body and life are in its hold.

The rose and poppy are her flowers; for where
Is he not found, O Lilith, whom shed scent
And soft-shed kisses and soft sleep shall snare?
Lo! as that youth's eyes burned at thine, so went
Thy spell through him, and left his straight neck bent
And round his heart one strangling golden hair.

--------


Yesterday Comcast was supposed to come at 2 p.m., giving me the morning to get work done. Instead they called at 10:30, and showed up at 11:15, and swapped modems and tried to blame my router for my cable problems. It took much longer than they expected. Then I had no cable until they initialized the new modem. At 4:10 p.m.

So I never got to have lunch with , who is probably no longer speaking to me (though she did post this utterly hilarious quote about the Bush administration). Nor did I get any work done until nearly 4:30, which is when my in-laws arrived for dinner. Needless to say, I did not accomplish terribly much, other than having a grand time drafting with .

And then The Thing happened in the sports world. Damn Red Sox. My father dislikes them because they never beat the loathed Yankees when they should have, back when he was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. I understand how he feels. Suffice to say that it's nice to know I won't need to waste time watching the Series. And hey, since most of the networks including UPN and NBC have yanked original programming in favor of reruns next Wednesday, I can actually watch Smallville when most of my friends do, and even watch Angel if I want to see Spike and Angel get it on together.

Today my children have no school due to a statewide teacher's meeting, and my husband has taken the day off, and we are going to go hike along the Appalachian Trail and watch the leaves fall.

Friday Five:

1. Name five things in your refrigerator.

Cranberry juice, hummus, milk, maple syrup, a half-empty Diet Vanilla Coke.

2. Name five things in your freezer.
Ice cream, corn, coffee, fish sticks, picnic freezer packs.

3. Name five things under your kitchen sink.
Dishwasher soap, napkins, garbage bags, scouring pads, barbecue skewers.

4. Name five things around your computer.
Miniature jade foo dogs, sweetgrass scented oil, Scotch tape, eyeglass cleaner, Tarot cards.

5. Name five things in your medicine cabinet.
Motrin, dental floss, sunblock, antiperspirant, nail clippers.

:

1. What character would you love to see get his/her own show?

Ares from Hercules and Xena. Yes, I know this can never happen.

2. If you could get rid of one character, who would it be?
George Steinbrenner. Oops, Freudian slip. Um, I disliked a lot of Buffy and have never watched Angel because of Cordelia. Now she's gone, but I feel like I've missed too much to start watching, even with Spike.

3. What character do you hate, but wouldn’t get rid of?
Seven of Nine. I loathed her from the moment she arrived on Voyager and wish that they had done the entire show without her. At this point, though, I don't think they could do a Voyager movie without including her and resolving her arc.

4. What character do you love but think has overstayed his/her welcome?
Anakin Skywalker. I absolutely don't care how he became Darth Vader.

5. If you could move one character to a different show, who would it be?
Sydney from VR5. She could have been on X-Files. She could have been on La Femme Nikita. I am dying to know how her story ends.

And gacked from , NO! NO! This is so not true! This is so not my fault! It's because I picked green as my favorite color, isn't it!

I'm Aragorn/Eowyn
What Non-Canon Lord of the Rings (LOTR) Pairing Are You?

brought to you by Quizilla

No comments: