Saturday, October 13, 2007

Poem for Saturday


Sonnet LXXIII
By William Shakespeare


That time of year thou mayst in me behold
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare ruin'd choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.
In me thou see'st the twilight of such day
As after sunset fadeth in the west;
Which by and by black night doth take away,
Death's second self, that seals up all in rest.
In me thou see'st the glowing of such fire,
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,
As the deathbed whereon it must expire,
Consum'd with that which it was nourish'd by.
This thou perceiv'st, which makes thy love more strong,
To love that well which thou must leave ere long.

--------


Spent most of the morning waiting for the insurance adjustor, then talking to the insurance adjustor. They're covering all the repairs to the drywall, including repainting the walls adjacent to the parts of the ceiling that need to be replaced, which is really good news. They're not covering the plumbing issues that caused the flood as that's considered normal wear and tear, but really I think we were lucky (or, rather, it paid to get the level of Nationwide homeowners' coverage that we have). The next few weeks are going to be hellacious anyway, as there is much furniture that must be moved for the repairs and there will be sawing and spackling and all that insanity, but I am playing the "it's only stuff" recording in my head and trying to remember the serenity prayer. *g*

Wrote a review of "Where Silence Has Lease" which is the most painfully boring Next Gen episode I can recall, covered the Star Trek movie price tag ($50,000,000+) while Christian covered Simon Pegg and John Cho signing to play Scotty and Sulu (both disappointments to me given who else was up for the roles). Paramount's allegedly thisclose to signing Chris Pine to play Kirk but thus far no confirmation, and they've supposedly been thisclose to signing a Kirk before, so we'll see.

Watched Flash Gordon and the Battle of the Metal Ahn Woon because we are all losers here (rooted for the other guy, since the episode had at least as much in common with bad Klingon honor storylines with all of Ron Moore's sexism at the fore as with "Amok Time"). Then watched Atlantis, thinking maybe I would love a Ronon-centric episode, but it was entirely predictable and not all that well acted by the guest cast, so I am still not a convert. Though I guess I'm watching. Meanwhile, Daniel has discovered and has been making cat macros...here are some examples!















: Open up my head
1. What's your personal hell?
Being separated from my family and the people I love.
2. Do you prefer brightly lit rooms or dim spaces? I like rooms lit by candlelight and get sun migraines, but I also get seasonal moodiness when I don't get enough sunlight.
3. What's the weather like today? Absolutely gorgeous, cool, crisp sunny autumn afternoon, now clear, cool, crisp autumn evening.
4. Is it easy to be you? Compared to how the majority of people in the world live, very easy, though at any given moment I reserve the right to whine anyway.
5. Friday fill-in: My heaven is ____. My family happy, with enough money to travel and enjoy ourselves without stressing out about it.

: A Different Outcome
1.If you could go back in time and change anything that has occurred in history, what would you alter and why?
If there's one thing I learned from Star Trek, it's: don't go there. There are things I'd like to witness but nothing I'd dare to change.
2.If your current life was to end today and in the next moment you were born again, where everything was the same as when you were actually born, however, you retained all of what you know from your first life, what would you do differently? Not date AS or AN, get away from JH much earlier than I did, stay away from KM after the first time I left, invest in AOL in 1986. *snickering*
3. If you could choose to become someone who has lived or who is living, who would you become and why? Another lesson I learned from Star Trek: don't go there!
4. What do you feel is the most intense experience that is currently happening or may soon come to happen, that may "affect" our survival and what (if) any changes must occur, to continue our existence here? I'm not sure I understand the question but if we keep melting the polar ice caps, a lot of us won't be here any more.
5. Recalling your most earliest memories/awareness up to now, during your life so far name one thing that you consider a positive experience involving humanity now then from what you can recall in your earliest memories. Name one negative experience also. I'm REALLY not sure I understand this question...like, the tearing down of the Berlin Wall? In my earliest memories it's learning that people had walked on the moon. And a negative...finding out that the US was at war in Vietnam, which came as a surprise to me when it ended.

: What lost episodes (or lost issues, or cut scenes) would you most like to see discovered?
1. Master & Commander
, Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin making up after their planned duel interrupted by a battle in Post Captain.
2. The X-Files, a proper ending in which all the questions that were dropped get answered.
3. VR5, the final episode. Anything that would wrap up the series with Sydney and Nora both conscious and Joseph's fate explained.
4. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Kira and Damar admitting they have feelings for each other.
5. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Aragorn and Faramir in the Houses of Healing.

No comments: