Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Poem for Tuesday

Here We Come A-Wassailing

Here we come a-wassailing
Among the leaves so green;
Here we come a-wandering,
So fair to be seen:

Love and joy come to you,
And to you our wassail, too,
And God bless you and send you a Happy New Year,
And God send you a Happy New Year.

Our wassail cup is made
Of the rosemary tree,
And so is your beer
Of the best barley.

We are not daily beggars
That beg from door to door,
But we are neighbours' children
Whom you have seen before.

Call up the butler of this house,
Put on his golden ring;
Let him bring us a glass of beer,
And the better we shall sing.

We have a little purse
Of stretching leather skin;
We want a little of your money
To line it well within.

Bring us out a table,
And spread it with a cloth;
Bring us out some mouldy cheese,
And some of your Christmas loaf.

God bless the Master of this house,
Likewise the Mistress too;
And all the little children
That round the table go.

Good Master and good Mistress,
While you're sitting by the fire,
Pray think of us poor children
Who are wandering in the mire:

Love and joy come to you,
And to you our wassail, too,
And God bless you and send you a Happy New Year,
And God send you a Happy New Year.

--------

I broke the cardinal rule of Christmas Eve, namely: Thou Shalt Not Approach the Mall. Actually the mall wasn't terrible, either getting there or getting a parking place, and when we ran in to pick up older son's reserved Super Mario 64 DS purchased with Chanukah gift money from my uncle, there weren't even crowds. But it was terrible driving from the mall to Bagel City to meet Heather, who brought me a lovely Dornick Designs necklace as a holiday present (I'd never seen Dornick's jewelry before, it is so much just my kind of thing!) and put up with my kids yakking nonstop through the meal. And then, after buying some bagels for breakfast -- if we were at my in-laws, we'd be having Swedish holiday pastry with marzipan, so I figured Paul should have good bagels at least -- we were caught in a nightmare of road closings and the recent Montrose Road rerouting, and the Shell station I went out of my way to reach to buy gas was closed, and it took me more than an hour to get gas and get home. Paul got there before I did, his office having closed early!

I got lots of cards over the past week, including cards from many online friends as well as relatives. Plus I got snow globes on Facebook -- thanks, all of you! We had a pretty quiet evening, having baked potatoes stuffed with chili for dinner and watching the Patrick Stewart A Christmas Carol for TNT. I love Stewart in this role and there are a lot of other actors (Laura Fraser, Dominic West) whom I like in supporting roles. But this put us in a rebellious mood so then we watched The Nightmare Before Christmas!


A pair of caroling penguins at Home Depot.


A pair of penguin decorations at a local Tara Thai restaurant...


...and a penguin on a yard decoration at Lowe's.


This cartoony inflatable nativity scene, also at Lowe's, cracks me up so I am including it.


Here is a selection of hardware store artificial trees.


And here, from Seneca Creek State Park's winter light display, is Santa.


Merry Christmas! And for those like me who celebrate different winter holidays, enjoy whatever you may be doing!

No comments: