Thursday, January 20, 2011

Poem for Thursday and Statue of Liberty

Imitation
By Edgar Allan Poe


A dark unfathomed tide
Of interminable pride -
A mystery, and a dream,
Should my early life seem;
I say that dream was fraught
With a wild and waking thought
Of beings that have been,
Which my spirit hath not seen,
Had I let them pass me by,
With a dreaming eye!
Let none of earth inherit
That vision of my spirit;
Those thoughts I would control,
As a spell upon his soul:
For that bright hope at last
And that light time have past,
And my worldly rest hath gone
With a sigh as it passed on:
I care not though it perish
With a thought I then did cherish.

--------

My laptop has been crashing all evening for some unfathomable reason and I had no working internet all afternoon -- thanks, Comcast -- so this will be a rushed entry. It wasn't all that eventful a day; since I couldn't do any work online, I took my time folding laundry, meaning I got to watch both Another Country (which I'd seen a million years ago, and barely remembered -- Rupert Everett and Colin Firth were both too pretty for me when young, though the location shooting was gorgeous) and Intolerable Cruelty (which I'd never seen, and enjoyed quite a bit as long as I watched the gender politics with my brain switched off).

Plus I got to have Indian food for dinner with Gblvr at the mall and do a bit of shopping (Brighton has their necklaces and bracelets with miniature perfume bottles, which look more like potion bottles to us, on sale half-price). And I found The King's Speech screenplay online, which is a source of major delight. Here are several different views of the Statue of Liberty from the ferry, Ellis Island, and at various spots on Liberty Island. The final photo of the ferry is so you can see how the clouds came and went all afternoon, which is why the light is wildly uneven in the photos.















No comments: