Thursday, February 24, 2011

Poem for Thursday and Underwater Glory

I Rose From Marsh Mud
By Lorine Niedecker


I rose from marsh mud,
algae, equisetum, willows,
sweet green, noisy
birds and frogs

to see her wed in the rich
rich silence of the church,
the little white slave-girl
in her diamond fronds.

In aisle and arch
the satin secret collects.
United for life to serve
silver. Possessed.

--------

Very little happened on Wednesday worth reporting except that I saw a bunny while I was taking a walk -- I didn't even realize it was there at first, since it was sitting in a pile of leaves near what's left of the snow from the other night, and it was brown like the leaves with a white tail like the snow, but then it went hopping away across the path. It was only a tiny bit warmer than the day before, but the squirrels were very active and there were even deer. Also, I watched all three parts of this interview -- it's wonderful -- and celebrated Obama finally telling the justice department to stop defending the indefensible Defense of Marriage Act.

In the evening I had to watch the nearly-as-indefensible Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, which I need to review by Friday. I have actually only seen the entire movie three times, which is an absurdly low number for me where anything Original Series is concerned. I had blocked out huge sections of it -- the ridiculous Klingons with their big hair, the Star Wars cantina scene, the Uhura/Scotty romance -- and the Kirk vs. God storyline is as incredibly ridiculous as ever, but I keep coming back to the fact that William Shatner wrote and directed something so slashy that if a fan had written some of those lines, we'd have snickered about it. Not just "Not in front of the Klingons," which is my favorite line in all of Star Trek, but Spock saying "I have found my place" when he refuses to leave Kirk's sides and Kirk pointing out that of all the beautiful things to see in Yosemite, Spock picked him. Bliss! Here are some more National Aquarium photos from the weekend:















No comments: