Friday, August 24, 2012

Poem for Friday, Henry IV, Norfolk Zoo

Granada Sings Whitman
By Nathalie Handal

By the river Genil
lovers sing what belongs to the water,
a shoemaker sings the dream he had,
his helper the dream he didn't,
a man sings to the woman
on the broken mattress,
death at midday sings,
on the banks of the Darro
a blind thief
collecting golden poplars sings,
and so does the crevice of quivers,
the saints flaming in la Sierra
and the men rehearsing a country.
They know nothing stays,
but when Whitman sings—
they allow his voice
to take them apart.

--------

Thursday I had the house to myself for several hours -- Paul was in the office all day, Adam had yard work, cross country, and driver's ed, Daniel went out for lunch and mini golf with my mother. This was good because I needed to finish a review of a DS9 two-parter since I won't be able to do it on Friday when I need to post it. The rest of my day involved cats getting into my food and bunnies hopping on the cul-de-sac.

In the evening we watched The Hollow Crown's Henry IV Part Two, in which Jeremy Irons (whom I'd thought was a bit flat in Part One) was extraordinary, though no more so than Tom Hiddleston and Simon Russell Beale. I haven't seen Part Two staged since college and the BBC's is terrific. Friday we are going to Baltimore to see Wings in the Water before the National Aquarium closes the exhibit. Here are some more pics from the Virginia Zoo:















No comments: