Friday, November 30, 2012

Poem for Friday and Hillwood Holidays

What I'm Looking For
By Maureen N. McLane

What I'm looking for
is an unmarked door
we'll walk through
and there: whatever
we'd wished for
beyond the door.

What I'm looking for
is a golden bowl
carefully repaired
a complete world sealed
along cracked lines.

What I'm looking for
may not be there.
What you're looking for
may or may not
be me. I'm listening for

the return of that sound
I heard in the woods
just now, that silvery sound
that seemed to call
not only to me.

--------

Quick entry because I spent the day with Dementordelta so I got behind on non-fun activities! We went to the Hillwood Museum and Gardens so that she could see Pret-a-Papier, the Isabelle de Borchgrave exhibit of paper couture, and I could see it again before it closes in December. There were few people there, particularly in the gardens since it's chilly though there are still gorgeous Japanese maples with leaves, and we had most of the rooms in the mansion to ourselves.


Me and Delta reflected in Marjorie Merriweather Post's dressing table...


...and the mirrored wall in the Icon Room, just behind the Faberge eggs.


The house was decorated for Christmas.


There were poinsettias in the breakfast room...


...miniature trees on the dining room table...


...and artificial cardinals in the trees around the front door.


Me by a De Borchgrave dress...


...and Delta by the visitor center tree.

Afterward we went to Noodles and Co. for lunch, then came back to my house and watched Little Shop of Horrors which I discovered to my horror that she had never seen. After she had to go home, my family had butternut squash soup and French bread pizza for dinner, then Paul and I watched Beauty and the Beast (too much crime, not enough Vincent) and Elementary (finally a story not primarily about a murder). Now Jon Stewart is explaining how the fiscal cliff might really be a slope, or a garden...

No comments: