Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Poem for Wednesday, Swain's Lock Birds, Gunless

Sonnet IX: I think I should have loved you presently
By Edna St. Vincent Millay

I think I should have loved you presently,
And given in earnest words I flung in jest;
And lifted honest eyes for you to see,
And caught your hand against my cheek and breast;
And all my pretty follies flung aside
That won you to me, and beneath your gaze,
Naked of reticence and shorn of pride,
Spread like a chart my little wicked ways.
I, that had been to you, had you remained,
But one more waking from a recurrent dream,
Cherish no less the certain stakes I gained,
And walk your memory's halls, austere, supreme,
A ghost in marble of a girl you knew
Who would have loved you in a day or two.

--------

The weather was warm and gorgeous on Tuesday, the perfect sort of day to have the windows open all afternoon, so the house smells better than it has since before Rosie got sick, yay! Today's domestic projects involved installing a litterbox in the downstairs bathroom, which involved cleaning up the sink and under the sink to make room for same, in case our aging cats are having trouble getting to the litterboxes in the basement -- thus far, they have ignored this entirely -- plus starting work on the first floor closet, which will be perfect by 2019 or so.

We watched a terrific PBS show, Pioneers of Television: Superheroes, which had interviews with lots of people involved with the Adam West Batman plus The Incredible Hulk, The Greatest American Hero, and others, ending with all the awesome things about Wonder Woman (I never realized that Cloris Leachman played her mother). Then we watched Gunless, the Paul Gross movie about why Canada's wild west legends are so much better than the U.S. shoot-em-up stories. Here are some photos of wild birds at Swain's Lock on election day:
















No comments: