Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Poem for Tuesday and Space Shuttle Discovery

For N & K
By Gina Myers

Otis on vinyl
carries from
the barn. Blessed
is this day. The camera
captures us youthful
& triumphant.
Blessed be this day,
a celebration
of friends coming
together. Last night,
surrounded by
those I love, I had wanted
to read Berrigan's
"Words For Love,"
but I didn't want to say
the heart breaks, even though I know
it's true & the breaking
can be a good thing
sometimes, like the way
my heart shatters
a little each time
I think of my friends
& how lucky in life
I've been to get
to know them, to have
had the time to laugh &
drink & dance & to argue
& feel hurt too.
How can one possibly
say everything
that should be said?
These feelings
just feelings, not
defined by words.
To be overwhelmed,
caught in a whirlwind
& up to one's
ankles in the creek
as lightning bugs
polka-dot the sky
& Otis, again Otis,
always Otis in my
memory, provides
the soundtrack.
Not every day
can be a good day
but this is one
of them, one
of the best days.

--------

Snow was forecast in the area from midnight to noon on Monday, so I postponed my plans with Delta till Thursday and warned older son that we might be stuck in the house on his first day of spring break. As it has all this winter, however, "snow" meant that flakes fell for maybe half an hour and nothing accumulated at all on the ground, not even on the grass; a bit collected on the trash can lids, but that was about it. Having been warned, however, Daniel stayed up half the night and didn't get out of bed till after noon, so we didn't go out to do anything exciting anyway! Since I was home, I did laundry and various other chores.

We had bagels together and watched The Prophecy because it was a "sitting in your basement sulking over your breakup with the boss" kind of an afternoon. Adam, who had a big AP World test Monday that kept him busy studying all weekend, had track practice after school. We had Indian food for dinner, then watched Dallas, which isn't quite the same without J.R. but still has plenty (Linda Gray, Mitch Pileggi, Knots Landing guest stars) going for it. Then we tried to watch Bates Motel, but I'd had enough at the halfway point and switched to a South Park rerun. Here's Discovery at Udvar-Hazy, including the tiles Enterprise never had:


















No comments: