Monday, June 17, 2013

Poem for Monday and Orioles Victory

To Her Father with Some Verses
By Anne Bradstreet

Most truly honoured, and as truly dear,
If worth in me or ought I do appear,
Who can of right better demand the same
Than may your worthy self from whom it came?
The principal might yield a greater sum,
Yet handled ill, amounts but to this crumb;
My stock's so small I know not how to pay,
My bond remains in force unto this day;
Yet for part payment take this simple mite,
Where nothing's to be had, kings loose their right.
Such is my debt I may not say forgive,
But as I can, I'll pay it while I live;
Such is my bond, none can discharge but I,
Yet paying is not paid until I die.

--------

We spent Father's Day in Baltimore, though some members of my family enjoyed it more than others -- we picked my parents up Sunday morning and met my in-laws at Camden Yards for the Orioles-Red Sox game, which the Orioles won 6-3, to the chagrin of Paul's and my father and the delight of most of the rest of us (the fact that the Nationals lost did not improve my father's mood). The weather was lovely, though -- humid but not too hot and it didn't rain -- and the Orioles looked good!


Chris Davis runs the bases after hitting the home run that put the Orioles ahead for good.


The Oriole mascot and his "dad" play ball with kids before the game...


...and the Oriole dances on top of the dugout.


The stadium reflected in Adam's sunglasses (which he found lying in the street a few days ago).


Fans pose by one of the statues in the bullpen picnic area.


Steve Pearce, who skateboards to Camden Yards, swings at a pitch.


The Orioles wish spectators a Happy Father's Day.


And here area the kids with the fathers -- Paul, his father, and my father.

We said farewell to my in-laws in Baltimore and drove home with my parents, then picked up a pizza and ate that along with the Reese's peanut butter cup cheesecake that Adam spent last night making -- despite his concerns about having used too much whipping cream, it was delicious. After he drove my parents home, we watched Doctor Who's "City of Death," in part because older son had read that John Cleese was in it -- Romana's not my favorite but it's fun to see the Fourth Doctor in Paris!

No comments: