Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Poem for Tuesday, Oblivion, Rabbits

Earth Your Dancing Place
By May Swenson

Beneath heaven's vault
remember always walking
through halls of cloud
down aisles of sunlight
or through high hedges
of the green rain
walk in the world
highheeled with swirl of cape
hand at the swordhilt
of your pride
Keep a tall throat
Remain aghast at life

Enter each day
as upon a stage
lighted and waiting
for your step
Crave upward as flame
have keenness in the nostril
Give your eyes
to agony or rapture

Train your hands
as birds to be
brooding or nimble
Move your body
as the horses
sweeping on slender hooves
over crag and prairie
with fleeing manes
and aloofness of their limbs

Take earth for your own large room
and the floor of the earth
carpeted with sunlight
and hung round with silver wind
for your dancing place

--------

Monday was a running-around day, with the morning taken up by laundry and work at home, the afternoon with chauffeuring my kids around. My mother stopped by in the morning with new headphones for Daniel, which he loves because they are noise-canceling and I can't say anything to him because they are noise-canceling. After lunch I took him to the dentist while Adam was at his school's cross country tryouts, then I came home, helped Paul unpack groceries, and went to pick up Adam, who had made the team easily.

After dinner ("meatloaf" and mac and cheese), we watched Oblivion, which I liked better than I expected despite the Tom Cruise factor -- the visuals were memorable, the women's roles were passable if not really good, and though I was spoiled for the big twist, I did not find it entirely predictable. Then we caught the end of the Redskins game, which they won, though apparently RGIII and Cousins are both injured now and Grossman went 10 for 16. Here are some photos of neighborhood rabbits, taken for a change with the DSLR and not my phone:
















No comments: