Sunday, September 08, 2013

Poem for Sunday and Washingtonian Lake

Variation on a Theme
By W.S. Merwin

Thank you my life long afternoon
late in this spring that has no age
my window above the river
for the woman you led me to
when it was time at last the words
coming to me out of mid-air
that carried me through the clear day
and come even now to find me
for old friends and echoes of them
those mistakes only I could make
homesickness that guides the plovers
from somewhere they had loved before
they knew they loved it to somewhere
they had loved before they saw it
thank you good body hand and eye
and the places and moments known
only to me revisiting
once more complete just as they are
and the morning stars I have seen
and the dogs who are guiding me

--------

We had magnificent weather on Saturday, a bit warm in the afternoon but beautiful in the morning and evening, perfect open-window temperatures with the crickets chirping. Adam, who is now one of the captains of his cross country team, had practice in the morning, so we waited for him for lunch, then went out to Kohl's and Target to take care of some necessary shopping (Kohl's owed me a rebate, Target is getting the very beginnings of Halloween merchandise, we stocked up on Clif bars). Since we were there and it was so pretty out, we took a walk around Washingtonian Lake and watched pirate and bird boats, geese, ducks, and a heron (phone pics):

















We got home in time for me to see several bunnies and for all of us to watch nearly all of the Maryland game, in which the Terps beat Old Dominion 47-10 (Os and Nats won, too). Adam went to a friend's birthday party with his girlfriend in the evening, so Paul made cutlets in tarragon wine sauce for us, then we watched this week's The White Queen in which I continue to hate Margaret Beaufort, love Margaret of Anjou, and think Elizabeth's mother may be my favorite character (and there's no point in rooting against Henry Tudor, is there?). Then we watched the Michigan-Notre Dame game, which Michigan decided to keep exciting for awhile before they retook control.

No comments: