Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Poem for Wednesday and Carderock in Winter

Pleasure
By Katie Peterson

I remembered what it was like,
knowing what you want to eat and then making it,
forgetting about the ending in the middle,
looking at the ocean for
a long time without restlessness,
or with restlessness not inhabiting the joints,
sitting Indian style on a porch
overlooking that water, smooth like good cake frosting.
And then I experienced it, falling so deeply
into the storyline, I laughed as soon as my character entered
the picture, humming the theme music even when I'd told myself
I wanted to be quiet by some freezing river
and never talk to anyone again.
And I thought, now is the right time to cut up your shirt.

--------

My entire day was about chores -- sorting months worth of magazines most of which need to be recycled, clearing off the piles of stuff on the living room table, and starting to attack Daniel's bedroom, since he has given me permission to reorganize the stuff he's never organized himself while at home (sooner or later we need to get a double bed in there, which requires finding the floor space). It was that and work -- no Olympics, no laundry-folding movie, brief trip out to get Adam.

We got enough snow to delay school for two hours, but by the time I took a walk in the afternoon, the sidewalks were clear again...though we still have quite a bit on the grass and since the snowstorm last week, we have only gotten mail once, on Saturday (none Thursday or Friday, none Monday for the holiday, and none today for no conceivable reason). We took a break from snowboarding to catch up on last night's Almost Human, which was great. From Carderock last weekend:













No comments: