Friday, March 14, 2014

Poem for Friday and USBG Orchids

My Teacup
By Alli Warren

trees are steaming
ever more vital pliant DINK
I can't see a thing in the sky
I choose George
Stanley over Fear
and Trembling
Tell why you chose
to do this or that
on each occasion
Nothing with hooves
or heels was it?
Excuse me for not thumbing
the abyss, "the goading urgency
of contingent happenings"
how stretchy the membrane
how drunk the ship
breaching the freight
we port with
however it is
I am and come to know
the ruby field of feeling
and isn't a life suddenly
laid in all its excess
of doubt & dualism
gag in the mouth I forget
to give sense to
relations that animate
to be carried among them
you are not an engineer
yet forms persist
so topple the column
any place there's a rope there's
the earth is not enough
I stick my head in it
I lose my coat

--------

It was nearly 70 degrees here on Wednesday; it was barely 30 degrees here on Thursday. I must confess that, particularly after this past winter, I preferred Wednesday...and we are now being threatened with snow on St. Patrick's Day, which is just not fair. On Friday, I am going to pick up Daniel in College Park for the start of his spring break, so I needed to get a bunch of work done on Thursday and don't have much that's exciting to report apart from the revival cast of Les Mis on Good Morning America. Due to the abruptly cold weather, I had to keep getting up to chase cats off of vents, and I saw no bunnies while walking.

Actually we did have a bit of excitement right around dinner time, when four fire trucks of increasing size roared into our cul-de-sac in rapid succession along with an ambulance, a police car, and a couple of brigade chiefs. We'd been getting fire hazard warnings because of the low humidity all days, so apparently someone calling in a kitchen fire in a townhouse development summoned every truck in the area. We caught up on Nashville in the evening (as always, good music, meh storylines), then watched Elementary (as always, great). Since it was too cold for local flowers, here are some orchids from the US Botanic Garden:

















Happy Pi Day!

No comments: