Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Poem for Tuesday and Fort Washington

Winter Heavens
By George Meredith

Sharp is the night, but stars with frost alive
Leap off the rim of earth across the dome.
It is a night to make the heavens our home
More than the nest whereto apace we strive.
Lengths down our road each fir-tree seems a hive,
In swarms outrushing from the golden comb.
They waken waves of thoughts that burst to foam:
The living throb in me, the dead revive.
Yon mantle clothes us: there, past mortal breath,
Life glistens on the river of the death.
It folds us, flesh and dust; and have we knelt,
Or never knelt, or eyed as kine the springs
Of radiance, the radiance enrings:
And this is the soul's haven to have felt.

--------

I am still trying not to get a cold, so I got a slow start on Monday with cat body heat trapping me in bed. Then I had a bunch of work and chores, during the course of which I discovered that Bath & Body Works had a one-day giveaway on their new Hawaii scents, so I went to the mall to get my freebie. Since I was there, I also checked out a couple of stores and found some very cute shirts in Forever 21, where my presence raised the average age well above that of the store name. I couldn't face the Beauty and the Beast spring finale tonight -- it has sucked too much this season -- and watched Dallas instead (it does a better job on the Bechdel test!). My friend in the hospital is going home, which is great!

I LOVE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME. I know some people gripe when it first starts about having to get up in the dark, but I will gladly take that in exchange for light outside for an hour when everyone gets home from work -- our neighborhood was full of kids and dogs and chatty people this evening, I talked to several neighbors and while I did not see bunnies or deer, I could clearly see their tracks in the muddy ground where the snow has mostly melted. I was late for dinner because I was out catching up with people. We're supposed to get over 65 degrees on Tuesday, which will hopefully melt the rest and let the daffodils start coming up! A few photos from Fort Washington last month when there was still some snow from a big storm:
















No comments: