Thursday, June 26, 2014

Poem for Thursday and Canal Wildlife

America
By Claude McKay

Although she feeds me bread of bitterness,
And sinks into my throat her tiger's tooth,
Stealing my breath of life, I will confess
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth!
Her vigor flows like tides into my blood,
Giving me strength erect against her hate.
Her bigness sweeps my being like a flood.
Yet as a rebel fronts a king in state,
I stand within her walls with not a shred
Of terror, malice, not a word of jeer.
Darkly I gaze into the days ahead,
And see her might and granite wonders there,
Beneath the touch of Time's unerring hand,
Like priceless treasures sinking in the sand.

--------

Quickie because I have to get up crazy early to go to College Park for Adam's orientation overnight (he stays over, we do not, though we are going to what will undoubtedly be repetitive meetings and having lunch with other parents before having dinner with Daniel). I had chores to do on Wednesday morning, then I took Adam to Giant to get ice cream to bring with him when then he went to watch to watch the World Cup with friends, and I went to AC Moore to use my one-day 50% off coupon on marbles and letter beads.

When I got home, I made a Washington Nationals bracelet since I didn't have one, repaired a ring that had lost a fake ruby stone, and used the marbles for my pagan wall of squee (since I have a fannish corner of squee, I need one of those too). Then I went for a brief walk to see the bunnies (the frog was hiding), had dinner, watched the Deep Space Nine episode I need to review this week because I have lots to do the next two days, and watched more Orphan Black! C&O Canal animals we saw last month:














No comments: