Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Poem for Tuesday and National Cathedral Creatures

Beauty Supply
By Lee Ann Brown

Sheaves of wheat in cement relief
Supply the beauties of Archer Ave.

Past the scaffolded brick church spire
We turn on the vacant corner lot

Through winds worthy of Hopkins (Gerard M.)
New words -- Alexus -- Everything must go

"Include everything in poetry"
Even the things you think are nothing

Like the way the new white snowflake
Decoration waves its wild tentacles
     against the high blue sky

    loop and angle
Black graffiti palimpsests the
    yellow official sign of Danger
in bus stairwell

She stares at me unsmiling
    with cold Northface
Notices me writing but says nothing
    with her eye

The corner lot I used to chart or cheat in its 'vacancies'
Configures new blown trash and walk through paths

Subjected to random search

Has grown a mouth of gravel
Constructed in a cone
Surrounded by temporary fence
    Of blue nailed board

Now on Roti Avenue
Cutlery & Wang Quai

Amalgam of chairs,
Jamaica Island Center  

--------

My computer and I are having a bit of a disagreement at the moment, so I will keep this post brief. My whole day was work and chores, anyway. Adam reports that he ran a 5k over the weekend to raise money for cancer research, and came in fourth despite not having run for many weeks and despite the fact that he still has a cast on, so I was very impressed with that news. Plus, huzzah Supreme Court for butting out!

We are relieved that the Nationals won, though they have to win two more to advance. Tonight we watched Gotham, which I wish I was enjoying for more than two minutes of Selena each week, and Sleepy Hollow, which justifies my love every week with things like -- tiny spoiler -- Abbie thinking Ichabod is scandalized by a gay couple holding hands in public, only to discover that it's gentlemen wearing hats indoors that troubles him, since he knew men who loved men in his own era and he has since watched the finale of Glee. Makes it easy to overlook the Dan Brownisms for things like Benedict Arnold and Judas. National Cathedral gargoyles:














No comments: