Sunday, November 30, 2014

Poem for Sunday, Mockingjay, Smaug, Harpers Ferry

From Epithalamion
By Edmund Spenser

Ye learnèd sisters, which have oftentimes
Beene to me ayding, others to adorne,
Whom ye thought worthy of your gracefull rymes,
That even the greatest did not greatly scorne
To heare theyr names sung in your simple layes,
But joyèd in theyr praise;
And when ye list your owne mishaps to mourne,
Which death, or love, or fortunes wreck did rayse,
Your string could soone to sadder tenor turne,
And teach the woods and waters to lament
Your dolefull dreriment:
Now lay those sorrowfull complaints aside;
And, having all your heads with girlands crownd,
Helpe me mine owne loves prayses to resound;
Ne let the same of any be envide:
So Orpheus did for his owne bride!
So I unto my selfe alone will sing;
The woods shall to me answer, and my Eccho ring.

Early, before the worlds light-giving lampe
His golden beame upon the hils doth spred,
Having disperst the nights unchearefull dampe,
Doe ye awake; and, with fresh lusty-hed,
Go to the bowre of my belovèd love,
My truest turtle dove;
Bid her awake; for Hymen is awake,
And long since ready forth his maske to move,
With his bright Tead that flames with many a flake,
And many a bachelor to waite on him,
In theyr fresh garments trim.
Bid her awake therefore, and soone her dight,
For lo! the wishèd day is come at last,
That shall, for all the paynes and sorrowes past,
Pay to her usury of long delight:
And, whylest she doth her dight,
Doe ye to her of joy and solace sing,
That all the woods may answer, and your eccho ring.

--------

We had another movie day -- since we all wanted to see it and we saw the first two together, we went to see The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part One. I'm not sure I loved it as much as I loved Catching Fire -- I think Katniss is a stronger character in that one and I wanted more Haymitch, less Gale, and in general less gratuitous love triangle since ultimately it's not important to her character arc -- but I thought Julianne Moore was brilliant, I was glad to see Philip Seymour Hoffman, I love Natalie Dormer, and I think Jennifer Lawrence gets better in every movie she's in. I'm still not sure Mockingjay needed to be two movies, but it's not like I was ever bored, and the focus on propaganda is very timely.

Afterward we went to Blaze Pizza for dinner -- there's actually one in College Park but neither Daniel nor Adam has ever eaten in that one -- I got every kind of cheese they have on mine. Adam went over to a friend's house where a bunch of his other high school friends were gathered while on break from their respective colleges. Because we are likely to see The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Hours Armies when they're next home at the end of the semester in a few weeks, we watched the extended version of The Desolation of Smaug and now I am SO irritated we did not get Thrain in the theatrical version in place of some gratuitous special effects! Since I'm short on time, have a photo of fall in Harpers Ferry:


No comments: