Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Poem for Wednesday, Election Night, Arboretum

Q
By Hannah Sanghee Park

May I master love, undo its luster
do in the thing that makes us lust?

May I speed through the body’s sinew
to marrow? Or is toiling a part of

the gaining of trust? May I pare and narrow
your body down, and open it to my

cupidity’s arrow? May I find my
response to body’s unanswered call,

(if the want leaves you wanting, at all)?

--------

It should tell you everything you need to know about how I feel about the election results when I tell you that the high point of my day was my six-month dental check-up. Okay, actually I enjoyed the Marvel special that was on in lieu of Agents of SHIELD and Disney gave me a free digital copy of Wreck-It Ralph for connecting my Google Play account and we had dinner with my parents, but not even leftover Halloween candy could make tonight's news coverage any less bitter.

Maryland just elected a Republican governor who is at least not a nut on private issues, but WHAT THE HELL MONTGOMERY COUNTY right now in my district, a screw-the-environment, anti-choice, bigoted Republican is winning the Congressional race. (I only voted for Delaney, who's a non-progressive old-school Republican in Democrats' clothing, because he's running against this jerk.) Some photos from the National Arboretum on Monday in the forlorn hope that pretty flowers will lower my blood pressure:














No comments: