Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Poem for Tuesday and Longwood Daffodils

My Yoko Ono Moment
By David Trinidad

for Nick Twemlow

It’s annoying
how much
junk mail
comes through
the slot
& accumulates
at the foot
of the stairs

mostly menus
from restaurants
in the neighborhood

endlessly
coming through
the slot

despite the sign
we put on the door:
No Advertisements
No Solicitors

One night
I scoop up the whole pile
on my way out
(as I do periodically)
& dump it
in the trash can
on the corner
of West Broadway & Spring

just as Yoko Ono
happens to be strolling
through SoHo
with a male companion

She watches me
toss the menus

then turns to her friend
& says, "I guess
no one reads those."

--------

We had to get up insanely early to drive Daniel practically to Dulles for work -- the reason he's in town this week -- then came home and worked from here while catching up on Downton Abbey (oh shut up Mary) and Billions (oh shut up pretty much every character on the show) while eating lunch. When Daniel was finally finished, we picked him up and went to the Minerva in Herndon, where I ate way too much wonderful Indian food.

We watched this week's X-Files, which I loved -- reminded me of my very favorite episodes from the first time around, a monster-of-the-week story with major character issues, a bit of arc story, and serious shippiness. We also watched some more first season Bones, which I wish could be less gruesome but I love the characters. Here are some of the daffodils we saw in Longwood Gardens' conservatory a few weekends back:
















No comments: