Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Poem for Tuesday and Longwood Gardens Christmas

Between the Dragon and the Phoenix
By C. Dale Young

Fire in the heart, fire in the sky, the sun just
a smallish smudge resting on the horizon
out beyond the reef that breaks the waves,

fiery sun that waits for no one. I was little more
than a child when my father explained
that the mongrel is stronger than the thoroughbred,

that I was splendidly blended, genetically engineered
for survival. I somehow forgot this, misplaced this,
time eroding my memory as it erodes everything.

But go ask someone else to write a poem about Time.
Out over the bay, the sun is rising, and I am running
out of time. Each and every year, on my birthday,

I wake to watch the sunrise. I am superstitious.
And today, as in years past, it is not my father
but my father’s father who comes to shout at me:

Whether you like it or not, you are a child of fire. You
descend from the Dragon, descend from the Phoenix.
Your blood is older than England, older than Castille.

Year after year, he says the same thing, this old man
dead long before I was born. So, I wake each year
on the day of my birth to watch the fire enter the sky

while being chastised by my dead grandfather.
Despite being a creature of fire, I stay near the water.
Why even try to avoid what can extinguish me?

There are times I can feel the fire flickering inside my frame.
The gulls are quarreling, the palm trees shimmering—
the world keeps spinning on its axis. Some say I have

nine lives. Others think me a machine. Neither is true.
The truth is rarely so conventional. Fire in my heart, fire
in my veins, I write this down for you and watch

as it goes up in flames. There are no paragraphs
wide enough to contain this fire, no stanzas
durable enough to house it. Blood of the Dragon,

blood of the Phoenix, I turn my head slowly
toward the East. I bow and call for another year.
I stand there and demand one more year.

--------

My Monday was not exciting and I don't even have a goofy Marvel holiday special to shriek about, but the rest of the week will be a lot more interesting! I did a lot of chores, went food shopping with Paul, got my hair cut, and took a walk in the park for a Ho-oh raid, at which I did not catch a shiny, but hey, I have a perfect Gulpin.

We caught up on the Matthew McConaughey-Hailee Steinfeld episode of Graham Norton and watched some of the Saints-Panthers game, though we'd switched to The Daily Show before it ended and I couldn't pass a quiz on any of the above. Here are some of the magical tree lights at Longwood Gardens during this holiday season:

2018-12-05 17.47.36

2018-12-05 17.51.57

DSCN3779

DSCN3764

2018-12-05 17.57.18

DSCN3758

DSCN3813

2018-12-05 18.54.25

No comments: