Monday, January 28, 2019

Poem for Monday, Rent, Cabin John Park

D.O.A.
By Tim Dlugos

"You knew who I was
when I walked in the door.
You thought that I was dead.
Well, I am dead. A man
can walk and talk and even
breathe and still be dead."
Edmond O'Brien is perspiring
and chewing up the scenery
in my favorite film noir,
D.O.A. I can't stop watching,
can't stop relating. When I walked down
Columbus to Endicott last night
to pick up Tor's new novel,
I felt the eyes of every
Puerto Rican teen, crackhead,
yuppie couple focus on my cane
and makeup. "You're dead,"
they seemed to say in chorus.
Somewhere in a dark bar
years ago, I picked up "luminous
poisoning." My eyes glowed
as I sipped my drink. After that,
there was no cure, no turning back.
I had to find out what was gnawing
at my gut. The hardest part's
not even the physical effects:
stumbling like a drunk (Edmond
O'Brien was one of Hollywood's
most active lushes) through
Forties sets, alternating sweats
and fevers, reptilian spots
on face and scalp. It's having
to say goodbye like the scene
where soundtrack violins go crazy
as O'Brien gives his last embrace
to his girlfriend-cum-Girl
Friday, Paula, played by Pamela
Britton. They're filmdom's least
likely lovers—the squat and jowly
alkie and the homely fundamentally
talentless actress who would hit
the height of her fame as the pillhead-
acting landlady on My Favorite Martian
fifteen years in the future. I don't have
fifteen years, and neither does Edmond
O'Brien. He has just enough time to tell
Paula how much he loves her, then
to drive off in a convertible
for the showdown with his killer.
I'd like to have a showdown too, if I
could figure out which pistol-packing
brilliantined and ruthless villain
in a hound's-tooth overcoat took
my life. Lust, addiction, being
in the wrong place at the wrong
time? That's not the whole
story. Absolute fidelity
to the truth of what I felt, open
to the moment, and in every case
a kind of love: all of the above
brought me to this tottering
self-conscious state—pneumonia,
emaciation, grisly cancer,
no future, heart of gold,
passionate engagement with a great
B film, a glorious summer
afternoon in which to pick up
the ripest plum tomatoes of the year
and prosciutto for the feast I'll cook
tonight for the man I love,
phone calls from my friends
and a walk to the park, ignoring
stares, to clear my head. A day
like any, like no other. Not so bad
for the dead.

--------

We had a quiet Sunday morning with various projects we put off while our kids were home, then we had soup and crackers for lunch and went to take a walk at Locust Grove in Cabin John Park. The snow is gone and the trails are pretty muddy, but there's some ice on the creek and in puddles on the ground, and there are cardinals and eastern bluebirds in the trees, so it's quite pretty. We stopped at Giant and CVS on the way home.

In the late afternoon, we picked up Maddy, who is moving back to California very early on Monday -- she has better job prospects out there -- and went to meet Alice, Jeremy, and Avery at the Metro 29 Diner. We haven't all had dinner together since not long after Maddy moved out here, so that was lovely! Then we came home for Rent on Fox, also lovely and nostalgic and powerful. We'll have lots of regular Sunday TV to catch up on.

2019-01-27 14.00.04

2019-01-27 14.26.03

2019-01-27 14.08.00

2019-01-27 14.08.29

2019-01-27 14.20.45

2019-01-27 14.31.39

2019-01-27 17.37.12

No comments: