Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Poem for Tuesday and Tip of Manhattan

Song of the Sea
By Rainer Maria Rilke
Translated by Albert Ernest Flemming

Timeless sea breezes,
sea-wind of the night:
you come for no one;
if someone should wake,
he must be prepared
how to survive you.

Timeless sea breezes,
that for aeons have
blown ancient rocks,
you are purest space
coming from afar...

Oh, how a fruit-bearing
fig tree feels your coming
high up in the moonlight.

--------

I had a nice, busy Monday because I had a bunch of things I wanted to get done before being trapped in the house by a snowstorm on Tuesday. I met Karen and Jim for lunch at the Big Greek Cafe, which was lovely because I have not seen them since before the winter holidays -- it's been a crazy month -- then I did a bunch of shopping on Rockville Pike, including stops at both A.C. Moore and Michaels which were both unsuccessful since they've both removed their holiday sale sections in favor of Easter merchandise! Pier 1 still has some winter things but World Market, not much.

In the late afternoon I took down a bunch of Star Trek collectible plates that have been hanging precariously in our bedroom (one nearly fell during the roof repairs) and put up some more nautical decor that's much more my style of the past decade. I love the advent of turtle and starfish-shaped sparkly string lights. We had veggie gyros for dinner, since I brought Paul some of the spicy feta from lunch. Now we're caught up on Black Lightning, which was very sad tonight, and Madam Secretary, which was frustrating. Here are some photos from Battery Park last week:

2019-01-20 15.05.15

2019-01-20 15.01.21

DSCN4291

2019-01-20 15.30.01

2019-01-20 15.20.48

2019-01-20 15.33.54A

2019-01-20 15.00.13

DSCN4292

No comments: