Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Poem for Tuesday and The King at Winterthur

If I Were King
By A.A. Milne

I often wish I were a King,
And then I could do anything.

If only I were King of Spain,
I'd take my hat off in the rain.

If only I were King of France,
I wouldn't brush my hair for aunts.

I think, if I were King of Greece,
I'd push things off the mantelpiece.

If I were King of Norroway,
I'd ask an elephant to stay.

If I were King of Babylon,
I'd leave my button gloves undone.

If I were King of Timbuctoo,
I'd think of lovely things to do.

If I were King of anything,
I'd tell the soldiers, "I'm the King!"

--------

I had an early doctor appointment on Monday, at which my CBC numbers were good but I got a flu shot so I have been warned I may not feel nearly so good the rest of the week. So I took it kind of easy the rest of the day, though it was so nice out that I did go for a walk at the Bolger Center before a Darkrai raid. I also got a big mirror for Adam's room via Freecycle and rearranged some photos there.

With no baseball on, we caught up on Supergirl, which needs to stop dragging out the storyline with J'onn's brother, then Black Lightning, which is all big epic violence and fragmenting central family so not holding my interest much this season, and Batwoman, which I am enjoying pretty thoroughly. From Winterthur's Costuming the Crown, items related to my favorite royal (no surprise here), George VI:

DSCN3155
Family orders with the faces of her father and grandfather...

DSCN3153
...on a precise replica of a dress the Queen wore for an official court photo.

DSCN3105
Here are the same family orders, worn by royal women...

DSCN3103
...on a replica dress for then-Princess Elizabeth's grandmother Queen Mary.

DSCN3088
A replica of the naval uniform worn by George VI to walk his daughter down the aisle at her wedding.

DSCN3126
This suit and padding were made to help the 6'4" John Lithgow resemble the 5'6" Winston Churchill.

DSCN3110
A replica of the dress Queen Elizabeth wore as she departed the plane that flew her back to Britain after the death of her father.

DSCN3149
Because the exhibit is as Winterthur, it includes items connecting the du Pont family to the royals, like this invitation sent to H.F. and Ruth du Pont to a garden party at the British Embassy in honor of the royal visit in 1939.

No comments: