Saturday, December 14, 2019

Poem for Saturday and Longwood Conservatory

The Sound of the Trees
By Robert Frost

I wonder about the trees.
Why do we wish to bear
Forever the noise of these
More than another noise
So close to our dwelling place?
We suffer them by the day
Till we lose all measure of pace,
And fixity in our joys,
And acquire a listening air.
They are that that talks of going     
But never gets away;
And that talks no less for knowing,
As it grows wiser and older,
That now it means to stay.
My feet tug at the floor
And my head sways to my shoulder
Sometimes when I watch trees sway,
From the window or the door.
I shall set forth for somewhere,
I shall make the reckless choice
Some day when they are in voice
And tossing so as to scare
The white clouds over them on.
I shall have less to say,
But I shall be gone.

--------

We had rain dawn till dusk, and two major local accidents involving vehicles and children that closed two major local roads, so since it was Friday the 13th anyway, I figured I should just stay indoors. I got a lot done in the house but it's all too boring to talk about, except discovering that I now have too much Avengers-themed jewelry to fit into a single case. I got an identical comforter to the one on my bed so I can wash it more regularly without distressing the cats who are the reason it needs to be washed so often, but I don't know whether they approve of the new comforter because they were too excited about the box it came in.

We had dinner with my parents, who decided to continue my birthday week since we didn't have birthday cake on Wednesday, so I have now had ice cream cake and it is such a good thing I don't have any appointments at which I need to be weighed next week. We came home for The Mandalorian, whose episode storyline wasn't my favorite of the season but had a dozen awesome guest stars to make up for that. Then we watched The Last Jedi, which we've only seen once and wanted to make sure we remembered properly for The Rise of Skywalker next week. Here are some of the many Christmas trees in Longwood Gardens' conservatory:

DSCN4567

DSCN4557A

DSCN4542

DSCN4543

DSCN4553

DSCN4630

DSCN4601

DSCN4623

No comments: