Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Poem for Wednesday and Longwood Confectionary

The Pennycandystore Beyond The El
By Lawrence Ferlinghetti

The pennycandystore beyond the El
is where I first
            fell in love
                        with unreality
Jellybeans glowed in the semi-gloom
of that September afternoon
A cat upon the counter moved among
                        the licorice sticks
            and tootsie rolls
      and Oh Boy Gum

Outside the leaves were falling as they died

A wind had blown away the sun

A girl ran in
Her hair was rainy
Her breasts were breathless in the little room

Outside the leaves were falling
            and they cried
                        Too soon! too soon!

--------

Tuesday was nearly as rainy as Monday, with the threat of snow overnight, so I had another mostly-indoor day, though I did go to the park for one Terrakion raid (he is my least favorite Pokemon ever, he has run away on me so many times and today was no exception). Then I went to get my hair highlighted, which I thought was going to take maybe an hour and a half, but apparently I have even more stubborn Stubborn Grays than most people and crappy hair in general and after standard highlights, some contrast dye on the roots, then a bit of bleach because you couldn't see the highlights at all and the stylists swore it would not turn my hair red, guess who has reddish garish highlights and was quite a bit poorer nearly three hours later? I'm sticking to $8 tinted Batiste from now on!

We watched the final December night of the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover, which I did not enjoy as much as the previous night's because nothing was going to beat the five minutes of Smallville sequel for me, but there were more awesome cameos, a fairly touching way of not killing off Barry which we all knew they weren't going to do no matter what the prophecy said, and a fun twist ending. After the Kevin Smith post-episode chat show which was almost as much fun as the episode itself, we watched the winter finale of Emergence, and I'm hoping they announce the show's cancellation after this season because as much as I like the cast, that's how much I dislike the writing. Longwood Gardens turned the conservatory music room into a candy store based on America's oldest, Philadelphia's Shane Confectionery:

DSCN4577

DSCN4580

DSCN4587

DSCN4576

DSCN4572

DSCN4591

DSCN4570

DSCN4589

No comments: