Thursday, July 30, 2020

Poem for Thursday and Canal Ducklings

Fort Night
By Lisa Olstein

The snake is
a sleeve the deer

puts on, its mouth
a beaded cuff

in the haze men
make of morning

with each release
of their fist-gripped

guns. Is this a dream
of shame? Is this

a dream of potential
unmet, of possibility

undone? School,
no pants. Brush,

no teeth. Podium,
no poems. Open

door, all wall.
Dear Monster,

none of the guests
we disinvited arrive.

In the darkness
no lion comes.

--------

Wednesday was quiet around here, which was lovely. I spent all day working on computer tasks and that was fine. We took a walk in the late afternoon when it was a little less hot and saw bunnies, plus I met up with someone in the neighborhood to do a Kyurem raid so I could finish a quest requiring that I catch a dragon. We got Ethiopian food for dinner from Sheba, a definite highlight!

The Orioles and Nationals both won, so even though I think baseball now is a bad idea, I guess I am paying attention. We watched Agents of SHIELD, which remains good, and I finished my Merlin rewatch, which makes me sad because I really enjoyed it again -- none of the things I nitpicked before bothered me this time. Here is another wood duck family from the canal with smaller babies:

DSCN9353

DSCN9355

DSCN9349

DSCN9347

DSCN9359

DSCN9351

DSCN9350

No comments: