Tuesday, February 11, 2003

Poem for Tuesday


Life in a Love
by Robert Browning


Escape me?
Never--
Beloved!
While I am I, and you are you,
So long as the world contains us both,
Me the loving and you the loth,
While the one eludes, must the other pursue.
My life is a fault at last, I fear:
It seems too much like a fate, indeed!
Though I do my best I shall scarce succeed.
But what if I fail of my purpose here?
It is but to keep the nerves at strain,
To dry one's eyes and laugh at a fall,
And, baffled, get up and begin again,--
So the chace takes up one's life, that's all.
While, look but once from your farthest bound
At me so deep in the dust and dark,
No sooner the old hope goes to ground
Than a new one, straight to the self-same mark,
I shape me--
Ever
Removed!


* * * *

Was led astray by a Minion last night and so did not get lots of things done that I wanted to.

Am annoyed for Peter Jackson and disgusted about the cinematography nominations but happy TTT is up for Best Picture nonetheless. I am of the mind that Lord of the Rings will be judged by Oscar after Return of the King, not before, and if it's overlooked, it will still be remembered long after everyone has forgotten who starred in A Beautiful Mind. Which is really fine with me. Last year I was angry not that Fellowship didn't win Best Picture but that Moulin Rouge was not taken seriously as a contender -- that was where I saw the competition.

And I mean, shit -- Gwyneth Paltrow and Marisa Tomei have Oscars while Glenn Close does not. These awards don't stand for anything meaningful.

No comments: