Monday, May 05, 2003

Poem for Monday


For Once, Then, Something
By Robert Frost


Others taught me with having knelt at well-curbs
Always wrong to the light, so never seeing
Deeper down in the well than where the water
Gives me back in a shining surface picture
Me myself in the summer heaven godlike
Looking out of a wreath of fern and cloud puffs.
Once, when trying with chin against a well-curb,
I discerned, as I thought, beyond the picture,
Through the picture, a something white, uncertain,
Something more of the depths--and then I lost it.
Water came to rebuke the too clear water.
One drop fell from a fern, and lo, a ripple
Shook whatever it was lay there at bottom,
Blurred it, blotted it out. What was that whiteness?
Truth? A pebble of quartz? For once, then, something.

--------


Someone on one of my fic mailing lists dropped a huge X2 spoiler in the first couple of lines of her post where there was no avoiding it while scrolling through mail in Outlook. Why are people so dense? Those of us with children never get to major movies on opening weekend, unless said movie is LOTR and we have sold our souls to be there...

From , fic based on The Great Gatsby. Subtle, clever, put an enormous smile on my face. Even though the movie sucks, I have always seen Gatsby as a young, beautiful Redford ever since I saw it. And young, beautiful, slashable Redford makes my head explode.

Gacked from , who got the same result, which made us both happy:


Which Rock Chick Are You?

No comments: