Monday, May 12, 2003

Poem for Monday


To Earthward
By Robert Frost


Love at the lips was touch
As sweet as I could bear;
And once that seemed too much;
I lived on air
That crossed me from sweet things,
The flow of- was it musk
From hidden grapevine springs
Down hill at dusk?
I had the swirl and ache
From sprays of honeysuckle
That when they're gathered shake
Dew on the knuckle.
I craved strong sweets, but those
Seemed strong when I was young;
The petal of the rose
It was that stung.
Now no joy but lacks salt
That is not dashed with pain
And weariness and fault;
I crave the stain
Of tears, the aftermark
Of almost too much love,
The sweet of bitter bark
And burning clove.
When stiff and sore and scarred
I take away my hand
From leaning on it hard
In grass and sand,
The hurt is not enough:
I long for weight and strength
To feel the earth as rough
To all my length.

--------


In an offshoot conversation from , someone mentioned that she wished Brannon Braga would die. And while I would never wish death on someone for something as trivial as ruining a television franchise -- I generally don't wish anyone dead except for one utterly despicable person who has caused direct and unmitigated suffering to my family, and I feel really terrible and try to repress those thoughts, since I don't even permit myself death wishes for political figures who are quite literally causing the deaths of thousands -- and this is an impressive run-on sentence, isn't it -- I realized something irrevocable when I read the Braga post.

I hate Ken Biller far more than I hate Brannon Braga. Don't get me wrong, I blame Braga for much of what I couldn't stand about Janeway the last three seasons of Voyager, and for Seven of Nine and her cat-suited ways, and for a lot of generally mediocre science fiction. But Biller wrote The Chakotay Episodes That Turned Voyager's XO Into An Intolerable Shithead. Biller oversaw most of Voyager's utterly unwatchable final season. Biller touched Dark Angel and it died. Now Biller's filthy, revolting paws are on Smallville and every week it gets a little worse. Blame Gough all you want; all I know is that the show took this turn when Biller showed up.

And I'm actually sort of liking Enterprise in spite of myself these days, because I'm not getting the sense that Braga sneers at the fans the way I know Biller does. I know because I've read his interviews. On which note I must go write an article about the fact that Smallville and Enterprise will be in competition in the same time slot next year. I see the WB is either trying to kill Star Trek or to kill its most viable show. Pretty darned amusing. Gosh, I might actually go back to 24 on Tuesday nights, if it's still there and there's minimal Kim. Since I know I'll be watching Enterprise, I wonder whether I'll even bother to catch up on Smallville the way I have religiously taped and watched Dawson's Creek?

And Angel will follow Smallville. But Charisma Carpenter is not expected to return, while James Marsters is expected to sign as a regular. If West Wing goes down the toilet without Sorkin, perhaps I will finally get on the Boreanaz bandwagon.

I forgot to write down who I gacked this from and now I can't find it on my Friends page so it was at least three days ago!




Which flock do you follow?
this quiz was made by alanna

No comments: