Saturday, October 25, 2003

Poem for Saturday


Light Breaks Where No Sun Shines
By Dylan Thomas


Light breaks where no sun shines;
Where no sea runs, the waters of the heart
Push in their tides;
And, broken ghosts with glow-worms in their heads,
The things of light
File through the flesh where no flesh decks the bones.

A candle in the thighs
Warms youth and seed and burns the seeds of age;
Where no seed stirs,
The fruit of man unwrinkles in the stars,
Bright as a fig;
Where no wax is, the candle shows its hairs.

Dawn breaks behind the eyes;
From poles of skull and toe the windy blood
Slides like a sea;
Nor fenced, nor staked, the gushers of the sky
Spout to the rod
Divining in a smile the oil of tears.

Night in the sockets rounds,
Like some pitch moon, the limit of the globes;
Day lights the bone;
Where no cold is, the skinning gales unpin
The winter's robes;
The film of spring is hanging from the lids.

Light breaks on secret lots,
On tips of thought where thoughts smell in the rain;
When logics dies,
The secret of the soil grows through the eye,
And blood jumps in the sun;
Above the waste allotments the dawn halts.

-------


:
1. Who is your favorite animated character? Why?
I have next to no interest in animated characters. I suppose it's Shrek.

2. Who is your favorite television character? Why?
Clark Kent (hah! you thought I was going to say Lex or Lionel, didn't you?) because the constant analogies between growing up gay and growing up a superhero move me in spite of how bad Smallville so often is.

3. Who is your favorite (no longer in production) televison character? Why?
I only get one? Major Kira Nerys. Greatest female character I ever saw on television, flaws and all.

4. Who is your favorite television ensemble cast? Why? (If you don't have one/want to imagine the possibilities, assemble one and explain your choices and the fandoms they are from).
Currently, since there's a distinction drawn in the previous questions between new and old shows, it's probably the West Wing cast, though it's not what it once was and the women's roles irk more more and more. Historically I don't know whether to pick the original Trek cast, the DS9 cast or the Mission: Impossible cast during the Landau-Bain years.

5. Who is your favorite movie character? Why?
I get ONE? No. William Hurt's Valentin in Kiss of the Spider Woman, Glenn Close's Marquise de Merteuil in Dangerous Liaisons, John Cassavetes' Phillip in Tempest, Anjelica Huston's Lilly in The Grifters, Katharine Hepburn's Eleanor of Aquitaine in The Lion In Winter...and I can't even choose among my LOTR favorites. Why? Because they made me rethink my life in some way.

In case I failed to mention it last night in posting ROTK spoiler pics: though I know that LiveJournal has been terrible for my vocabulary, reducing me to gacked and guh and *snerk* on many occasions, I now understand on a visceral level the need for ***SQUEE!***.

And speaking of gacked, from , who got the same result, and it is a thing of beauty:

Archer/Tucker
Archer/Tucker
What is Your True Enterprise M/M Slash Shippage?
brought to you by Quizilla


And speaking of Trek I had better go write an article on Viacom's third-quarter profits. Please feign excitement. Thank you very much.

***SQUEE!***

No comments: