Sunday, October 12, 2003

Poem for Sunday


Try
By Jennifer Grotz


"Try to praise the mutilated world." -- Adam Zagajewski

To love the world is what you try to do,
describe the trash, the bombs, the fisted greed --
when it does not love back, does not love you.

There are still breezes, kisses, and a few
more pleasures between gratitude and need.
To love the world is what you try to do

after seeing the slow old man pursue
in the parking lot a cart that gathers speed.
When it does not love back, does not love you,

the world seems like a hammer and a screw.
Aside from watch and act, can one succeed
to love the world? What they say's untrue,

that what you do won't matter. View
the world as a book that needs to be reread
when it does not love back, does not love you.

Or, watch it like a candle troubled into blue
under a fan, a candle filigreed
to love the world. It's what you try to do
when it does not love back, does not love you.

--------

From today's Poet's Choice column in The Washington Post, on villanelles.


Icon in honor *snort* of Marriage Protection Week. Not that anyone here really wondered about my position on that, I trust.

Below, this is interesting because neither my real name nor my most common pseudonym yielded my usual answer, Ravenclaw. And I was a Gryffindor twice as often as a Slytherin even though my last name is one of the Slytherin colors. Yet my LJ name gave me:

Your Years at Hogwarts by nevermindless
Name:
The Sorting Hat places you in: Ravenclaw (Blue and Bronze)
Subject you are naturally best at: Defense Against the Dark Arts
Your favorite book: Prefects Who Gained Power
Pet you bring to school: A dragon, but you don't have it for long.
You are most known for: Who you are dating.
Created with quill18's MemeGen!


On that other quiz, gacked from , I learned that I should have Karl Urban's baby. Hopefully this means I should also go to New Zealand in the near future. Ooh, do you think Lucy Lawless will come to the bris?

Lots and lots of work to do (site columns, review round-up, news bullets) and it's a gorgeous day so I want to get outside. See you all later!

No comments: