Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Poem for Tuesday


The Restoration
By Peter Didsbury


Birthday candles, strewn like the spokes
of sadly dismantled wheels,
could be screened going backwards,
could be seen to go back on the cake.

And brutal clowns, from their half-way down the lane,
could by invisible hawsers be recalled
to mend the innocent carts the very
sight of which had caused them to go berserk.

There could be restored, in the cinemas of time,
the luminous frames we imagine preceded the action,
even from splinters of wood and ruined foods,
the many morsels of glistening bright gateaux.

--------


Nothing really exciting to report from yesterday, except that my younger son succeeded in overflowing the toilet and completely flooding the upstairs bathroom for the second time this week. His teacher seems wonderful; maybe I can get her to explain the dynamics of toilet paper, water and flushing. My older son's classroom teacher seems very bland but his math teacher seems superb.

This morning I have been invited to a scrapbooking party at the home of one friend and am bringing another, so I must go shower and get ready. I only scrapbook electronically these days, so this ought to be interesting. And tea parties! Gacked from :

You are The Mad Hatter
You are The Mad Hatter
One thing is for sure - you're as mad as a hatter.
You have an obsession with time and if tea time
were to ever cease, you would probably be even
more confused.
href="http://quizilla.com/users/mandella/quizzes/What%20Alice%20in%20Wonderland%20Character%20Are%20You%3F/"> What Alice in Wonderland Character Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla


And re: quizzes and cuts in general, as I had this conversation with someone yesterday: I would so much rather people not put single quizzes or longish entries behind a cut. Because LJ is only working properly half the time, and it takes ten times as long to go through my Friends list trying to see things behind cuts, waiting and waiting for pages to load, as it does just to scroll past things I find boring on my Friends page. For me, in most entries, cuts aren't polite so much as frustrating. Sure, if you're going to post fifteen photos of your kids or four quizzes with graphics or a long, long rant about your mother in law, feel free to use one, but if you actually want me to know who your imaginary boyfriend is? Put it where I can see it without doing more work!

No comments: