Friday, November 21, 2003

Poem for Friday and <a href

But first, a squee. drew Aragorn and Boromir gerbils! LOOK HERE! *hugs and loves Jommy*


Cold Morning
By Eamon Grennan


Through an accidental crack in the curtain
I can see the eight o'clock light change from
charcoal to a faint gassy blue, inventing things

in the morning that has a thick skin of ice on it
as the water tank has, so nothing flows, all is bone,
telling its tale of how hard the night had to be

for any heart caught out in it, just flesh and blood
no match for the mindless chill that's settled in,
a great stone bird, its wings stretched stiff

from the tip of Letter Hill to the cobbled bay, its gaze
glacial, its hook-and-scrabble claws fast clamped
on every window, its petrifying breath a cage

in which all the warmth we were is shivering.

--------


This morning, I am angry. Remember how I ranted during the last election when some of my friends who are fellow citizens of Maryland decided to vote for Erlich, or not to bother to vote at all, because they thought all politicians were the same and Erlich was basically a liberal and they were sick of the Kennedys and Glendenning and blah blah blah? Now we have the governor you people gave us, and whom you probably deserve, but the rest of us have to live with.

And here's another one for the unpopular opinion meme. Nader voters are why American soldiers and Iraqi citizens and everyone else are dying in Iraq. You made the Bush presidency possible. Those of us who desperately begged you to vote for Gore, even if you didn't like Gore or Clinton or many of their policies (I didn't either) salute you: you helped to create the Patriot Act, destroy any hope of universal health care and trigger all the Sanctity of Marriage proclamations. Congratulations on having voted your consciences and your egos, or at least Nader's ego. And welcome to an America where, if John Ashcroft has his way, you soon won't even have that freedom.

Cynical media query: Think Kobe Bryant put Michael Jackson up to it? I haven't heard his name in a week.

Things I love about fandom: cannot be limited to ten. Sigh. What am I doing thinking when I have so much work to do and 73 messages to answer? Sorry I am so behind. Three hundred lives of men I have walked this earth, and now, I have no time.


Friday Five:

1. List five things you'd like to accomplish by the end of the year.

Get 2/3 of a novel finished, figure out what's up with one child's medical issues, clean out all the old crap in the basement, keep Trek Nation functioning in Caillan's absence, reread ROTK after seeing the movie because I'm afraid to do so beforehand.

2. List five people you've lost contact with that you'd like to hear from again.
Michele, Michael G, Therese, Betsy and the one who shall remain nameless but whom I'd love a single kind word from, just once, for closure.

3. List five things you'd like to learn how to do.
Play the harp, exercise willpower in the face of chocolate, read Latin, do a single axel jump, see the good in all people.

4. List five things you'd do if you won the lottery (no limit).
Donate a huge amount of money to the ACLU, fund a cancer research foundation completely unbeholden to the commercial interests of drug companies, take my family on a trip around the world, get a little place on the beach, fly all my friends in to visit one or two at a time.

5. List five things you do that help you relax.
Sleep, write smut, enjoy my pets, walk in the woods or by the river, read Tarot cards.


:

1. What fandom did you get into that you were absolivity and posiloutly sure, you were never going to get into, but you did.
X-Files.

2. What made you think you would never get into it? What tipped you into it?
I heard people talk about it and saw bits of it and just had no interest. Seemed dark and sometimes gory. Fanfic tipped me into it.

3. Did you start to write/vid/archive/dub/(fill in fannish creative activity) in that fandom? Do you still?
Very little actually; I reviewed and archived, but the only fic I wrote it unsafe for public consumption and I never vidded though I collected California Crew's vids.

4. Have you ever pimped someone into a fandom without trying? Which fandom, and what did it?
Oh my god, repeatedly! Smallville, LOTR, Nikita, and particularly Voyager. Usually just by getting them to watch one 'shipper moment.

5. Do you have a fandom where you do not read the fic? Why not?
No. For me fandom is about the fic.

No comments: