Friday, January 23, 2004

Poem for Friday and <a href


In the Next Galaxy
By Ruth Stone


Things will be different.
No one will lose their sight,
their hearing, their gallbladder.
It will be all Catskills with brand
new wrap-around verandas.
The idea of Hitler will not
have vibrated yet.
While back here,
they are still cleaning out
pockets of wrinkled
Nazis hiding in Argentina.
But in the next galaxy,
certain planets will have true
blue skies and drinking water.

--------


Sorry I'm late but I was watching Russell on the Live With Regis and Kelly rerun. Why did those morons at Fox and Universal market Master and Commander as an action flick rather than a witty character-based historical drama?

Ah well. Friday Five:
At this moment, what is your favorite...
1. ...song?

"Sail These Same Oceans," Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts.
2. ...food?
Goong phuket.
3. ...tv show?
Smallville.
4. ...scent?
Clove.
5. ...quote?
"If I speak in the tongues of men and angels, yet have not love, I am but a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, understanding all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have faith to move mountains, yet have not love, I have nothing."

:
1. What is your favorite series finale? Why?
Deep Space Nine's "What You Leave Behind" and the arc leading up to it. Wraps up all the storylines that mattered to me in a moving, intelligent and dramatic way.
2. What is your favorite exit for a character? Why?
Boromir's death in The Fellowship of the Ring. Because it happens for a reason -- many reasons -- and absolutely everything that happens afterward is contingent upon it. It's the very opposite of a meaningless character death.
3. What is your favorite beginning of a relationship? Why?
If we're talking TV, probably Mulder and Scully's, because it was complex and witty and imperfect and really looked like it would go somewhere. But reading Master and Commander, I must say that I adore the way Jack and Stephen fall in hate at first sight and then promptly fall in love the next day once they realize what they have in common.
4. What is your favorite introduction of a character? Why?
I know this is an unpopular opinion but I really liked the way DS9 brought on Ezri Dax after Jadzia's death. It made sense, it had both the awkwardness and familiarity that I expected and with a few missteps (the Garak relationship) it brought something new and interesting to a dynamic that hadn't been growing much. I'm also pretty fond of how Sirius Black gets introduced in Harry Potter.
5. What is your favorite pilot episode? Why?
Voyager's "Caretaker." Fastest I have ever fallen in love.

Speaking of fandom, everyone run to 's journal to look at this picture of Leonard Nimoy that really must be seen. And then beg her to post more of her Trek-era treasures.

Here's the latest gay marriage poll, passed on from . Just go vote.

That "ask a question about something I've written" meme -- feel free to do that any time, about anything. If it's ten years old, I might not remember everything, but I will try.

Was reading a couple of Friends list entries and thinking about what extraordinary arrogance it takes to post a complaint about how too many people in this community of writers think they have what it takes to become "serious" novelists, by someone who seems to think that Big Name Fandom makes her more qualified than anyone else. (Ironically, the two well-known, professionally acclaimed novelists on my Flist never print this sort of screed; they are busy actually writing their novels, asking for feedback on ideas and encouraging other writers to write in whatever manner best suits their habits and interests.) Yes, learning to spell is important and letting go of the crutches of amateur fic will make one's work more compelling, but having something unique and interesting to say is far more important than the scaffolding of it. Give me a horribly edited, unlyrical story that's about something -- or, more importantly, about someone -- and I guarantee that I can edit it into a better novel than whatever my Serious Writer Friends Who Nonetheless Hang Out On Livejournal Writing Fan Fiction In Their Spare Time are pulling out of their asses today.

HOW DO YOU KISS? by 3circledsun
Username
Your Kiss...Melts upon
...closed eyelids
...and lands about
...tender lips.
Created with quill18's MemeGen 2.0!


Am having one of those mid-life crisis days when I feel largely unloved and unappreciated and everything feels useless. Again I feel like up and ditching fandom altogether, doing the family stuff I should be doing and writing what I should be writing.

On which note, off to cover the probable cancellation of Boston Public. Ho hum.

No comments: