Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Poem for Tuesday


Sonnet 90
By William Shakespeare


Then hate me when thou wilt; if ever, now;
Now, while the world is bent my deeds to cross,
Join with the spite of fortune, make me bow,
And do not drop in for an after-loss:
Ah! do not, when my heart hath 'scap'd this sorrow,
Come in the rearward of a conquer'd woe;
Give not a windy night a rainy morrow,
To linger out a purpos'd overthrow.
If thou wilt leave me, do not leave me last,
When other petty griefs have done their spite,
But in the onset come: so shall I taste
At first the very worst of fortune's might;
And other strains of woe, which now seem woe,
Compar'd with loss of thee, will not seem so.

--------


will know why I chose the theme of today's poem. Fortunately, she will not tell.

Funniest thing I learned yesterday: even people who by their own admission write their favorite canon male character (and I know there are several of you who do!) paired with an OFC/Mary Sue will not admit it in a poll that can be read in public. I wonder why this is. I have only written two true Mary Sues, as I generally loathe all OCs who exist for any purpose other than to be plot devices -- don't get me wrong, if they're there, then I want them to be well-rounded and interesting characters, but I want them to be the supporting players, not who the stories are about -- but I don't think I'd deny my Mary Sues if I had more of them.

I mean, being totally honest, half the time when I wrote Voyager fic, I was Mary Sueing Janeway, and the other half the time I was Mary Sueing Chakotay. In RPing, I think there's a huge amount of Mary Sueing going on with canon characters anyway, so I've probably Mary Sued all the major LOTR characters. But there's still a huge difference for me between an Aragorn/Arwen story where the writer has obviously written Arwen to be like herself to a ridiculous degree, or an Aragorn/OFC character where, even if the OFC seems more plausible within Tolkienesque constraints, I'd rather have warped!Arwen.

and I are going out for lunch and I have to write yesterday's CSI Files site columns, which I completely overlooked in hunting for Trek news. More later.

No comments: