Thursday, February 26, 2004

Poem for Thursday


On His Brother's Death (No. 101)
By Gaius Valerius Catullus
Translated by Aubrey Beardsley


By ways remote and distant waters sped,
Brother, to thy sad grave-side am I come,
That I may give the last gifts to the dead,
And vainly parley with thine ashes dumb:
Since she who now bestows and now denies
Hath ta'en thee, hapless brother, from mine eyes.
But lo! these gifts, the heirlooms of past years,
Are made sad things to grace thy coffin shell;
Take them, all drenched with a brother's tears,
And, brother, for all time, hail and farewell!

--------


I'm betting that I don't need to explain to any Lord of the Rings fans what made me think of that poem today.

Last night's Enterprise review: "Hatchery". I really enjoyed it despite the fact that it 1) was screamingly derivative of other Treks, and not very good ones at that; 2) featured hysterical!T'Pol; and 3) didn't really go anywhere in the end. Either I have gotten ridiculously easy to please where Trek is concerned, or I have an undiagnosed crush on Jolene Blalock.

Spent a lovely yesterday with , am pretty sure I talked her poor ear off and now she knows what my house looks like but I did offer her Russell Crowe spanking the young Alan Rickman lookalike in compensation so all seems to be forgiven. She was very polite about me 1) having to take her out to lunch because I had no food in the house and 2) having to drag her with me to drive my kids to a friend's house. And I have seen the amazing new tattoo!

Also, while she was here, I received 's holiday package! M&C, Sean Bean, chocolate and Pre-Raphaelites! *snogs her* Two months after she mailed it, in an envelope that had clearly been torn open and was stamped "ARRIVED DAMAGED" in several places. Am wondering whether the cause was the pesto spices, which look suspiciously like...well, other dried herbs, but ironically made it here with their package still sealed, or whether it was simple incompetence on the part of the post.

Am going out to lunch today with and where I will attempt to sit and look pretty and not make too much of a fool of myself while they discuss Highlander. did much to encourage my Russell Crowe obsession in the first place (plus she introduced me to ), and I have done much to encourage 's Russell Crowe obsession, and since and I initially bonded when she mentioned Highlander while we were strangers in line together to purchase the FOTR EE, it seemed fitting that we all get together.

has posted a most wonderful comment on the "true Biblical" movie that should be made, the passion of Song of Solomon. And all the Fundamentalists dragging their kids to see Jesus slaughtered should take them to see lovemaking as it was meant to be, according to the Old Testament -- wet and wild and involving every orifice.

Gacked from , not really sure I'm looking forward to having .4 surrogate children though perhaps this refers to babysitting grandchildren which would be fine...

Cruisedirector and Apaulled
  • May one day have 2.4 surrogate children.
  • Can't wait to slow dance in private.
  • Planning to build a home in Euphoria.
Orchestrated by ianiceboy


From , who made the quiz, my very first imaginary boyfriend, and from much of my flist, a newer one:

How will Captain Kirk seduce you? by kitteninamitten
Name
Method of seductionLetting you sit in the chair
Created with quill18's MemeGen 2.0!


HASH(0x8867fa0)
Richard Sharpe. You like a good-looking man's man,
and it's okay if he's a little rough around the
edges, as long as he looks good doing it.
Which Sharpe man do you belong with?
brought to you by Quizilla

No comments: