Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Poem for Wednesday


What Was Given
By Richard Foerster


What was given came without
the usual reasons--the earth

that day having completed
no meaningful circuit of the sun.

The giving should have been cause enough
for surprise, or that hidden beneath

patterned folds of wrap, within
a box large as any man's bewilderment,

waited some unknown thing, purchased
after long labor, How undeserved,

that unreciprocated moment,
when all the twisted paths

they'd walked together and alone,
seemed to brighten at the first tug

on the bow, the paper hinging out
like doors, the lid ready to come undone

as one stood there, still
too frightened to peer inside.

--------


Am swamped. Another three-article day and younger son has an orthodontist appointment for which I must drag him from the first week of school and I agreed to drive all three kids home from carpool, which, in exchange for never having to pick them up at 6:30 in the morning, is really a very small sacrifice. Tomorrow night there's a potluck at the middle school, and then, in one of those brilliant scheduling maneuvers of this county, both kids' back to school nights are next Wednesday. I guess it shall be one parent per school event from now on.

Another night of being unable to bear to watch the RNC. I felt like, since I let my kids stay up to watch Kerry, I should in fairness let them watch Bush and form their own opinions, but my stomach can't take anymore. They get enough exposure anyway -- last year my son's teacher had Bush and Cheney hanging on the history and government wall all damn school year. Last night it was back to Orioles on television, Phish on my husband's computer and it was like the Olympics had never happened. Earlier I indulged in my ultimate loser entertainment and watched Dawson's Creek while folding laundry. Have been going through season two much more slowly than season one and now it looks like season four, due out in October, will arrive before I start season three. Sweet.

From : I got my usual result, as did she, so we both approve the quiz. In fact this is so marvelously true of me, it may be more accurate than other Myers-Briggs tests I've taken...

Ravenclaw
You are a RAVENCLAW!

As a Ravenclaw and as an NFP, you are imaginative,
idea-oriented, and value intelligence. You may
be a non-conformist, and are probably good at
seeing new ways of doing things. You are
insightful and perceptive, and as an empathic
person who highly values harmony, you usually
try to avoid conflict. Of course, you may
enjoy participating in heated debates - but
only as long as they remain on an intellectual
level and not a personal level. In general,
you are open-minded and curious, and set high
standards for yourself.

Hogwarts Sorting Hat: Based on Myers-Briggs Personality Typing
brought to you by Quizilla

No comments: