Friday, September 09, 2005

Poem for Friday


The True Encounter
By Edna St. Vincent Millay


"Wolf!" cried my cunning heart
At every sheep it spied,
And roused the countryside.

"Wolf! Wolf!" -- and up would start
Good neighbours, bringing spade
And pitchfork to my aid.

At length my cry was known:
Therein lay my release.
I met the wolf alone
And was devoured in peace.

--------


Today I had a lovely lunch with the lovely , whom I had not seen since she got back from London safe and sound. She brought me goodies (Kendal Mint Cake!!!) and we watched Highlander's "Comes a Horseman" and "Revelation 6:8" and I feel so satisfied, like reciprocal pimpage is payback for all the shrimp and nachos I ate down 's basement while being converted to Duncan love (I know, I was supposed to be converted to Methos love, yet somehow I became a Duncan fangirl). And I get to see for lunch on Friday!

Tonight my mother watched the kids for an hour so we could go listen to the long-winded but friendly instrumental music teacher at my son's elementary school talk about the program. There seem to be two kinds of kids coming into the program: those who have never touched an instrument before, and those who have been playing since they were three and are practically virtuosi. Since our son falls into the middle -- this is the one who took up violin because of Russell Crowe, who demonstrated his learning experiences on the Master and Commander specials from when the movie came out -- we are not sure exactly where he is going to fit in. He is likely to be snarky if he is bored with the beginners and frustrated if he is overwhelmed by the advanced kids. Hopefully this will all work out.

Speaking of M&C, I am working on converting to the Aubrey/Maturin love. Whee! There just cannot be enough O'Brian adoration in fandom. And oh, since I have already earned the enmity of some segments of fandom with my post about the Encyclopaedia Dramatica, I may as well link to this Harry Potter/Wrath of Khan crossover with massive spoilers for HBP as well as Kirk yelling, "KHAAAAAAAN!" as only Shatner can, even though it's silent. I howled! Again!


Don Juan and Miguel demonstrate swordplay on the Endgame Stage at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire.


The Pirate Brawl at the Boarshead Inn always ends with everyone falling into the pool.


Also at the Boarshead, the three members of Bardic Wind juggle flaming torches and daggers.


Eric Dasher's Pirate Magic onstage at the Globe Theatre (note the "heavens" billowing down from the overhang).


Celticopia at O'Malleys means drinking songs, minstrels, music and merriment!


The Human Chess Board. We missed the actual chess tournament as we were seeing Don Juan and Miguel and then Bardic Wind.


Sir Eric's squire introduces him as, behind him, the Queen is preceded by the bagpipes.

No comments: