Saturday, October 08, 2005

Poem for Saturday


The Butterfly's Assumption Gown
By Emily Dickinson


The Butterfly's Assumption Gown
In Chrysoprase Apartments hung
This afternoon put on --

How condescending to descend
And be of Buttercups the friend
In a New England Town --

--------


Adventure! Excitement! A Jedi craves not these things! Um, how was your day? My big thrills were 1) writing a review of "Court Martial" for TrekToday and waiting for more than an hour for my older son's bus, which apparently broke down, then got stuck in traffic, meaning that my younger son and I sat waiting with no clue where they were in the pouring rain. I told that our older son needs to get a cell phone ASAP so he can call in case of situations like this -- we had this discussion several times last year when the bus was very late!

Otherwise, had dinner with my parents, watched Threshold which was not as good as "Court Martial" but had some definite assets anyway -- I like seeing two smart, tough career women working together and respecting each other while at the same time sneaking around behind one another's backs. There were two female guests this week whom I would really like to see back, and, okay, probably there's already femmeslash brewing somewhere about Caffrey and the cop but I still want to see her and Cavanaugh have hot sex (though I howled when Ramsey said women are always coming to him for sexual release!) I've given up hoping anyone in a Braga show will ever fall in love as it would all be about clingy women and weak men anyway.


There's a little sculpture garden in the courtyard behind the pancake house where we ate on Rosh Hashanah. Here are some details from a pillar whose title I do not know, but which has very pretty tile work and makes me think of some kind of Tree of Life.







: Name five songs that make you think of a fandom. List the fandoms and why.
1. "In Good Faith"
by Survivor, because of a Voyager songvid by Icy Crew. Janeway/Chakotay of course.
2. "Why Should I Cry For You" by Sting, which was my Master and Commander song long before there was a songvid. In fact I learned an important lesson about sharing my songs from that.
3. "I Will Never Be The Same" by Melissa Etheridge, which I associate with Kira and the second season of Deep Space Nine. Don't ask me why.
4. "See With Different Eyes" by October Project. There are a number of October Project songs I could connect with a number of fandoms, but at the moment this is my mental Harry Potter vid song so it gets singled out.
5. "Superman" by Five For Fighting, which I assumed for obvious reasons might be the Smallville theme song from the time I heard the series had been picked up.

: Blogging
1. How long have you had your LiveJournal/blog?
Since October 29th, 2002. I had a blog on Blogger for a couple of years before that but I never updated it.
2. What do you consider to be the main purpose of your LiveJournal/blog? To babble. It's sort of how I remember the trivia of my life, with the added bonus that I get to communicate with other people about it and occasionally to connect on a deeper level.
3. If you could change something about your personal blogging style, what would it be? I waver between thinking I should talk more about things that matter and thinking I should stick entirely to the ephemeral/trivial. I get upset by how confrontational people can be sometimes in comments when I'm just blowing off steam, or how people sometimes just don't say anything at all when I'm talking about something I really want to discuss, and I am never sure who is reading what or why people bother to take my head off over certain stupid things when no one has anything to say about things that matter.
4. What are your criteria for adding someone to your friends list/blog roll? I'll add anyone who adds me provided that person is not posting things that seriously offend my values/politics or flaming.
5. Name one thing that you've never before written about in your LJ/blog. Getting my purse stolen in 1987? I don't know! There are a million things!

: Code Blue
1. Have you ever been to the emergency room?
Yes. A couple of weeks after my first child was born, when I was too dizzy to stand up.
2. What's the worst pain you've ever had? The few minutes between the time my epidural wore off and when they gave me the next dose for my c-section. I was having contractions less than a minute apart and was under orders not to move.
3. If you could choose your doctor, do you prefer someone of the same or opposite sex? For gynecology I definitely prefer a woman. For everything else I don't really care -- it's more personality than gender that matters.
4. Do you take vitamins? When I remember.
5. Would you prefer to go to the doctor, the dentist or go sky diving? Sky diving!


Tomorrow I want to go see the schooners Sultana and Virginia and other ships in Baltimore for the Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race that starts Wednesday, but it has rained all day (which we desperately needed so I am not complaining) and is supposed to keep raining all weekend, which makes me much less pleased! The Liberty Clipper, which we sailed on when we were in Boston, will be there, as will American Spirit, which docks in the Anacostia River in DC, and the skipjack Nathan of Dorchester which we did not get to see when we were in Dorchester because it was out in the Bay. I just want a couple of hours in the afternoon with no pouring rain to see the ships!

No comments: