Friday, December 09, 2005

Poem for Friday


I Sat Belonely
By John Lennon


I sat belonely down a tree,
humbled fat and small.
A little lady sing to me
I couldn't see at all.

I'm looking up and at the sky,
to find such wonderous voice.
Puzzly, puzzle, wonder why,
I hear but I have no choice.

'Speak up, come forth, you ravel me',
I potty menthol shout.
'I know you hiddy by this tree'.
But still she won't come out.

Such sofly singing lulled me sleep,
an hour or two or so
I wakeny slow and took a peep
and still no lady show.

Then suddy on a little twig
I thought I see a sight,
A tiny little tiny pig,
that sing with all it's might

'I thought you were a lady',
I giggle, - well I may,
To my surprise the lady,
got up - and flew away.

--------

I'm a day late, but I wasn't really thinking about it until I turned on the radio Thursday morning and then spouse asked to bring a Lennon compilation CD to our son's winter concert, where they performed a Beatles song because the chorus teacher, who is probably about my age, was very aware of the date of the concert. I didn't hear about Lennon's death until the next morning, when I got to school and the very crowd of ninth grade boys with guitars and the photos that came with The White Album when it was on vinyl hanging in their lockers were by the cafeteria crying, so I suppose a day late is fitting, anyway.


Older son's winter concert tonight required that we leave the house very early, as he had to be at school an hour before it started and we had to take off an hour before that in case of nightmarish beltway traffic (in DC, if snow is predicted for Friday morning, the traffic problems begin 15 hours earlier), and all that meant I had to pick him up from the early bus stop and various things that made my day hectic! Plus I had to get BandAids and ointment for my incision sites from yesterday, and realized that I am going to have to shower in the evenings from now on when my husband can rebandage the one in the middle of my back because there is no human angle at which I can reach it. How do people who live alone deal with such things?

Once I got done with chores, the concert itself was lovely. My in-laws drove down from Pennsylvania to hear it and were impressed with the chorus teacher, who is phenomenal -- she has only been at the school for two years, they managed to snag her after she had been overseas a year and left her previous school where her students had sung at Bush's inaugural (I know, but it looks good on a resume) and at many local sports events and as backup for Britney Spears when she was in DC for that concert kickoff thing. So all this is potentially very exciting for my son. Among the performances they did hymns in Latin and Spanish, two English wassailing songs, the Hebrew song "Bashana Haba'ah," the Russian song "Kalinka," a couple of winter-themed sea chanties, a funky arrangement of "Jingle Bells" and a jazzy arrangement of "In My Life."

The only bad news is that I forgot to set the VCR for Smallville! I missed the It's A Wonderful Life Lex episode! , , please tell me you have it! Oh, but in happy news, I have awesome holiday fic -- a Snupin version of Groundhog Day only better paced, very funny, sad and sweet, quite logical in this universe! It's in two parts on , here and here.


The chorus director conducting singers and the string quartet at the middle school winter concert.


We are supposed to get lots of snow overnight and I am supposed to have a blood test in the morning...I hope I can drive! Watched "Operation: Annihilate!" after my shower to review Friday...oh dear, the clarity of DVD does not help those aliens at all... *g*

No comments: