Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Poem for Wednesday


Although They Are
By Sappho
Translated by Mary Barnard


Although they are
only breath, words
which I command
are immortal

--------


Spent today indoors for the most part, having slept late after having stayed up too late writing notes about Peter Pan. Finished a first draft of the omni review -- six very taut pages, could have been a lot longer but I was afraid of being told to trim it down even further which at this point would be difficult. It's almost entirely about sex and death -- if the Narnia movie fans were irritated with me for not loving The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, I may be in very big trouble indeed with Peter Pan fans. I'm glad I decided to evade both Disney and Hook! An Awfully Big Adventure becomes a more interesting, more daring and more brilliant movie every time I think about it. The thing is that I really love Peter Pan and Finding Neverland as well, but find them both in some ways profoundly disturbing...more so in the things they choose to gloss over than An Awfully Big Adventure which makes the freaky subtext accessible.

Wrote three articles for Trek Nation, realized I had not been paid since August and sent off an invoice; no wonder I've been so broke! I can't take Patrick Stewart seriously when he talks about getting back to his roots as an excuse for ditching his forty-something wife for a twenty-something wife; you wanted to move back to London, fine, but stop using it as an excuse to justify adultery, buddy, even though I've heard you cheated on wife #1 as well on the Star Trek set so it's not like wife #2 didn't know what she was in for. I'm in a cynical-on-Trek mood again because I also didn't enjoy Terry Erdmann bragging about all the things he got to see writing The Deep Space Nine Companion -- talk to us about something we don't know -- nor Eugene Roddenberry Jr. talking about how great his family is and boo hoo he can't get rich via Paramount like everyone else.

Spent an afternoon running around with carpools and writing with , which is the one fannish activity I seem to love unconditionally right now. I'm going to leave all my WIPs on a burner and ignore all communities, challenges, etc. and stick with what makes me happy. So, is that new Kyle MacLachlan series Injustice going to be any good? Should I watch it? Or is Boston Legal an anomaly in my apathy toward lawyer shows because it is on crack?


"Fast Food Take Out," a blue heron.


"Jewel of the Emerald Forest," a hyacinth macaw.


"Flamingo," which is pretty self-explanatory.


And a pigeon in the courtyard fountain.


Neither Penn State nor Florida State can kick a field goal to save their seasons! Looks like I'm going to be up awhile longer.

No comments: