Saturday, February 18, 2006

Poem for Saturday


Proverbs 8
Translated by Jill Hammer


I am Wisdom! I live wisely...
I am understanding. Courage is mine.
Through me kings reign
and rulers decree justice...
Those who love me I love,
and those who seek me will find me.

The Eternal created me
at the beginning of the path,
the first of the ancient works.
I was made in the distant past,
before the beginning of the origins of earth…
I was born before there were depths,
before the springs of water,
before the mountains were rooted.
Before the hills I was born!

I was next to the Eternal as a confidant,
and I was a daily source of joy,
playing to be seen at all times,
playing with the world, the land,
and humankind was my delight.

Now, children, listen to me,
for happy are those who keeps my ways...
The one who finds me has found life
and grace from the Eternal.
Those who sin against me destroy their souls,
and all who hate me love death.

--------


Quiet day. Wrote a review of "Metamorphosis", did some reading, had dinner with my parents and uncle. Got ready to go out of town, which meant four loads of laundry among other things. Folded it while watching Mr. & Mrs. Smith which was exactly as enjoyable as I expected -- I like both Brad and Angelina and they are walking proof that not all real life couples lack onscreen chemistry.

"I can push the button any time." "You couldn't find the button with both hands and a map!" Mwahaha! And then "You expect me to roll over and play dead?" "You've been doing that for five years of marriage." "Six!" In general I liked the dialogue, which was actually snappier than a lot of more acclaimed serious films this year -- it's been a terrible year for screenplays, the actors are so often better than their material, and while Pitt gets a lot of flak for his limitations, he's quite good at taking mediocre writing and making it entertaining onscreen. I cannot resist a man who sings along to Air Supply! And I love that only she can drive the minivan, and that she's Jewish. "Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet." Mwahaha, I hope Brad and Angelina go the distance because I will be bummed if they have an ugly breakup after the children and the charity stuff and all that, no matter how much of it is stunts.


: Cheney's Got a Gun
1. Do you have good hand-eye coordination?
Moderately good. My aim throwing and hitting a softball is fine, I just don't have the arm strength to put anything behind it.
2. Have you ever held a gun? I shot BB guns at camp for years. Wasn't a bad shot with it.
3. What do you think of toy guns? Won't let my kids have them. I think it's idiotic that we live in a country where when a kid gets shot because he was carrying a plastic toy rifle, we ban the plastic toy rifle rather than the real one the police thought he was carrying, but that's how it is. My kids can turn Legos and sticks into guns when they feel like it, though, despite being the child of a registered conscientious objector and having been kept away from violent cartoons as small children. I don't think toy guys make kids grow up violent; this entire culture contributes to that.
4. When is the last time you asked for forgiveness? I don't remember. Certainly Yom Kippur.
5. Your favorite Aerosmith song: "Walk This Way" I guess...really anything besides "Dream On" which I have despised for decades!

: Time Capsules
1. If you could go back and relive one moment or day from your life, without changing anything, what would you re-experience?
My wedding.
2. If you could witness a moment in history, again without changing anything, what would you want to see? The Sermon on the Mount, if it happened, and the audience reaction.
3. If you could talk to a younger version of yourself, what age would you visit and what message would you give? Eighteen, and tell myself that the fact that I was in love with someone who shall remain nameless was a good thing, not a bad one.
4. If you could choose one moment that would be guaranteed to happen in your future, what would it be and when would it happen? I wouldn't. I'm too superstitious to try to tempt fate that way.
5. Pretend you left a time capsule for yourself 5, 10, 15, 20 or more years ago. You just opened it. What three things from your past are you now holding and what age were you when you buried them? See, this is why I am a pack rat...I HAVE pretty much all the objects from 20 years ago that I still want.


I'm very sleepy and going to Farpoint on Saturday to interview Harve Bennett and Penny Johnson -- have no idea what to ask the former as he has been asked every Star Trek question under the sun already, can't wait to meet the latter (I interviewed her one before, over the telephone, but who could resist Sherry Palmer in person...Kasidy Yates I mean!) Will be at my in-laws the rest of the long weekend and likely not reachable except in the evenings. Have a great President's Day, people in the US!


From the last Hanover trip, Ski Liberty seen from Gettysburg.

No comments: