Thursday, March 02, 2006

Poem for Thursday


Sonnets from the Portuguese XXV
By Elizabeth Barrett Browning


A heavy heart, Belovèd, have I borne
From year to year until I saw thy face,
And sorrow after sorrow took the place
Of all those natural joys as lightly worn
As the stringed pearls, each lifted in its turn
By a beating heart at dance-time. Hopes apace
Were changed to long despairs, till God's own grace
Could scarcely lift above the world forlorn
My heavy heart. Then thou didst bid me bring
And let it drop adown thy calmly great
Deep being! Fast it sinketh, as a thing
Which its own nature doth precipitate,
While thine doth close above it, mediating
Betwixt the stars and the unaccomplished fate.

--------


I can't believe it's already Thursday...I don't know where this week has gone! Wednesday I wrote articles on Rene Auberjonois (who loves being on Boston Legal and loves Shatner, which pleases me), on Robert Picardo being in a silent movie acted entirely in ASL and on Trek games, which I have written nine articles about in 2006. *falls asleep* And we all watched Friday's Child because I have to review it Friday and can't watch Thursday night as usual, since we have older son's school science fair.

I also met my mother and uncle at B&N, where we had tea and mother got both me and younger son Tarot decks off the bargain rack (I hadn't realized Jane Lyle had completed her 22-card set with a minor arcana, let alone that B&N would have The Lover's Tarot on sale for $6 from $28!) I am such a sucker for pretty cards...I also found this new set, Oracle of the Grail Code, which I picked up because on the cover illustration there were two Rossetti paintings, two Waterhouse paintings and a Hughes. Inside there are 33 oversized cards with gorgeous art reproductions, mostly Pre-Raphaelite/Neoclassical though some Renaissance too, so even if you think divination oracles are a crock (as I generally do), it might be worth owning for the artwork.

Younger son discovered this knit-your-own-penguin pattern and called my mother-in-law before I even knew what he was up to to ask if she would make one for him like she made the Marvins for us. (His school was in the paper this morning about the county needing to get new portable classrooms to replace the ones with mold -- finally at least the media has caught on!) The food section of the paper also had a note on American Heritage Chocolate, or chocolate the way the Founding Fathers might have had it which apparently is for sale now at the Smithsonian and Mount Vernon. Oh and the wonderful provided links the other day to a whole bunch of articles on the health benefits of chocolate!

Sorry if I sound distracted; we have Monty Python's Personal Best on PBS and Confuse-A-Cat is doing a number on me. *g* My cat does a good enough job confusing herself:


Cinnamon attacking a paper crown from a restaurant.


Here we see yet again why cats don't rule the world.


DC area people: I have a pass for the new HBO pilot Big Love on the big screen at Mazza Gallerie next Wednesday, March 8th, and I can't go. It's for two people at 7:30. The series stars Bill Paxton, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Chloe Sevigny, Harry Dean Stanton and other good actors. Anyone want it?

No comments: