Thursday, June 12, 2008

Poem for Thursday

The Taste of Morning
By Jalaluddin Rumi
Translated by Coleman Barks


Time's knife slides from the sheath,
as fish from where it swims.

Being closer and closer is the desire
of the body. Don't wish for union!

There's a closeness beyond that. Why
would God want a second God? Fall in

love in such a way that it frees you
from any connecting. Love is the soul's

light, the taste of morning, no me, no
we, no claim of being. These words

are the smoke the fire gives off as it
absolves its defects, as eyes in silence,

tears, face. Love cannot be said.

--------

I spent a nice afternoon with Robin West, whom I hadn't seen in years and with whom I hadn't watched Landau/Bain stuff in practically a decade! We met at the mall near her doctor and went to Jerry's, since I was with Daniel (who had no school, as it was closed for graduation), then came back to my house and watched Mission Impossible -- the wonderfully fun "Illusion," in which Cinnamon poses as a cabaret star to bring down an Eastern European secret police chief, and "The Play," in which Rollin poses as an Eastern European actor and Cinnamon as a hippie American playwright to ruin a corrupt Minister of Culture. I love that show in the Landau/Bain years...ironically, since I didn't like the Leonard Nimoy episodes, which I saw years before those! In the late afternoon I went to pick up a cat carrier from a very friendly freecycler who's moving from a big house to a condo, causing much consternation and mewling when I came home with 1) a dreaded cat carrier that 2) smelled like an unknown cat.


In other cat traumas, I got out my body pillow to give to younger son and Rosie promptly took it over.


She wouldn't even let me budge her to put a pillowcase on it.


Meanwhile, Daisy took over my computer chair.


It's very difficult to answer your Gmail with nowhere to sit.


Cinnamon may look innocent sitting on the arm of the couch...


...but she is just waiting for someone to toss a feather pesker her way!


And then hoping it will return again.


My children are so excited that Thursday is the last day of the school year; getting Daniel to study for his last two exams was not easy. My parents are going to New York to see my uncle, who is doing a better from what my mother tells me, so I sent him a copy of the John Adams miniseries so he has something to watch while he's recuperating. Then I watched Saving Grace, which DementorDelta loaned me months ago and I only just glanced at and said, "Gee, I should watch that!" I enjoyed it a lot; Brenda Blethyn is terrific as always, the Cornwall scenery is magnificent, there's a scene where a guy pretends to be a stoner Dalek, and what's not to like about a movie where a whole town gets high off second-hand smoke, really? It's kind of a British family-friendly version of Weeds!

No comments: