Thursday, August 13, 2009

Poem for Thursday

Sonnet 21
By William Shakespeare


So is it not with me as with that Muse
Stirr'd by a painted beauty to his verse,
Who heaven itself for ornament doth use
And every fair with his fair doth rehearse,
Making a couplement of proud compare,
With sun and moon, with earth and sea's rich gems,
With April's first-born flowers, and all things rare
That heaven's air in this huge rondure hems.
O! let me, true in love, but truly write,
And then believe me, my love is as fair
As any mother's child, though not so bright
As those gold candles fix'd in heaven’s air:
Let them say more that like of hear-say well;
I will not praise that purpose not to sell.

--------

It was not a very eventful Wednesday around here. We took my father out to lunch at Bagel City, having decided that we needed pumpernickel and blueberry bagels for breakfast tomorrow and proper lox spread besides. Then we came home and Adam went to pool for a few hours, Daniel for somewhat less time, while I did some cleanup around here and had a very long catch-up conversation with Mama Dracula, with whom I have been playing phone tag for days.

After dinner (shish kabobs) we put on the Joshua Bell concert on PBS (it was Mostly Mozart, though in fact it was mostly Mendelssohn), but after 15 minutes of pledge drive blather, we turned it off and put on Due South -- "Juliet Is Bleeding" and "One Good Man." What an awesome pair of episodes! One of the nice things about being so late to the party is that I don't even remember things I was probably once spoiled for; I had no idea Carrie Ann Moss was in an episode, and I had NO idea that anyone was leaving the show. The funeral scene with Loreena McKennitt's "Full Circle" playing is very powerful. And I loved the filming of the elevator shaft crisis and the protest outside whatever glass Toronto building that was in the next episode.


A sloth bear flirts with a visitor to the National Zoo last weekend.


A Micronesian kingfisher, extinct in the wild due to the introduction of non-native snakes to its habitat, now being bred in zoos for reintroduction in Guam.


One of the zoo's giant pandas, very happy to be hidden behind lunch.


Manaia, the bird who greets visitors at Meet a Kiwi.


Denny Crane and Alan Shore. Oh wait, these are different pink flamingos.


A bullfrog in the swamp. (Sorry about the glare, I had the polarizing filter off because I'd been taking photos inside the bird house.)


A pair of kori bustards. (Yes, I spelled that right...what are you, my kids? *g*)


And one of the golden lion tamarins in the small mammal house.


Gacked from everyone, not that this should surprise anyone much:

My Political Views
I am a center-left social libertarian
Left: 2.91, Libertarian: 7.25

Political Spectrum Quiz

No comments: