Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Poem for Tuesday

The Paw of a Cat
By Kay Ryan


The first trickle
of water down
a dry ditch stretches
like the paw
of a cat, slightly
tucked at the front,
unambitious
about auguring
wet. It may sink
later but it hasn't
yet.

--------

From this week's New Yorker.

I spent Monday trying to get organized, which means that all I accomplished was half the laundry, half the putting-stuff-away, and half the e-mails, photo cropping, etc. that I had intended. I swear that the clock moves faster than it did a few years ago. I have nothing exciting to report except that the Green Man Review sent me the complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on CDs (first book read by Stephen Fry, subsequent books read by Martin Freeman who played Arthur Dent in the movie of the first). And there were chocolate covered coffee beans in the package.


A Spanish challenger rides against an English knight at the Pennsylvania Renfaire on Sunday.


The challenger turned out to be a woman. Sir Francis Walsingham kept trying to make her leave the field but she got more applause than most of the men.


The English knights displayed their equestrian skills as a group...


...circling and galloping down the field together. (I am sure there are equestrian names for these demonstrations but I don't know what they are!)


Though he wears Slytherin colors, this knight is known not as Draco but as King of Pain due to his resemblance to a certain singer.


The heralds signaled different phases of the competition.


Here is one of the spectacular stunt riders.


And another jousting run.


Watched Heroes, didn't like much, really hated the preview for next week so I won't say any more till I see if the show has jumped the shark as thoroughly as it looks from here. I am sure I had something else to say but the extreme eater on The Colbert Report has left me so nauseous that I must go lie down. Tuesday I have a doctor's appointment, anyway, and then I am going to see a friend who just got out of the hospital, so I had better be well rested!

No comments: