Saturday, April 10, 2010

Poem for Saturday and Spring Beauty

A Contemplation Upon Flowers
By Henry King


Brave flowers, that I could gallant it like you
And be as little vaine,
You come abroad, and make a harmelesse shew,
And to your bedds of Earthe againe;
You are not proud, you know your birth
For your Embroiderd garments are from Earth:

You doe obey your moneths, and times, but I
Would have it ever springe,
My fate would know noe winter, never dye
Nor thinke of such a thing;
Oh that I could my bedd of Earth but view
And Smile, and looke as Chearefully as you:

Oh teach me to see Death, and not to feare
But rather to take truce;
How often have I seene you at a Beere,
And there look fresh and spruce;
You fragrant flowers then teach me that my breath
Like yours may sweeten, and perfume my Death.

--------

We had thunderstorms on Thursday night that dropped the temperature on Friday nearly 20 degrees, so it was a gorgeous, clear, not-too-warm spring morning. I did not have a vehicle to drive, since Paul's is in the shop (and needs a new compressor, not just a minor repair to the A/C, meaning that it's going to cost a bloody fortune and take three days to fix), so since I couldn't drive around to see the local flowers, I took a walk. The cherries have lost their petals, but we have dogwoods, crabapples, and redbuds, plus our neighbor's tree that dumps red berries on our porch 51 weeks a year yet this week produces absolutely beautiful pink flowers. We've had lots of birds visiting our feeder since spring arrived, and today we had a blue jay, too.

















The rest of the day was relatively unexciting. I wrote a well-deserved negative review of "Aquiel", the biggest stinker of Next Gen's sixth season, which apparently caused someone to defriend me on Facebook though I don't know who. We had dinner with my parents -- spaghetti with meat-free meatballs for some of us and regular meatballs for others -- then came home and watched Smallville, which has gotten hopelessly complicated for me as I can't remember who knows what about whom anymore or who's working with whom or betrayed whom or forgave whom but oh my it's a good-looking cast even in an episode in which Lois is absent. Afterwards we put on the History Channel and watched The Presidents: 1825-1849, followed by First Invasion: The War of 1812, which was fabulous, both the tall ship footage and the reenactments of the burning of Washington and other battles.

Fannish5: What are your five favourite sibling relationships?
1. Boromir and Faramir
, The Lord of the Rings
2. The O'Keeffes, A Wrinkle In Time etc.
3. Viviane, Igraine, Morgause, The Mists of Avalon
4. The Drews, The Dark Is Rising
5. The Pevensies, The Chronicles of Narnia

No comments: