Friday, April 15, 2011

Poem for Friday and Lewis Ginter Gardens

Your Catfish Friend
By Richard Brautigan


If I were to live my life
in catfish forms
in scaffolds of skin and whiskers
at the bottom of a pond
and you were to come by
   one evening
when the moon was shining
down into my dark home
and stand there at the edge
   of my affection
and think, "It's beautiful
here by this pond. I wish
   somebody loved me,"
I'd love you and be your catfish
friend and drive such lonely
thoughts from your mind
and suddenly you would be
   at peace,
and ask yourself, "I wonder
if there are any catfish
in this pond? It seems like
a perfect place for them."

--------

Thursday was gorgeous in the DC area, and I stole time to enjoy it. The dogwoods are now blooming and there are trees full of pink blossoms and bees up and down my street, though I'm not sure what kind they are (they drop little red berries all over the sidewalk the other 51 weeks a year). The azaleas are budding, though they aren't blooming yet, and the forsythia bushes are turning from yellow to green, as the cherry blossoms have done. Adam took this great bee photo. My head, nose, and throat have had some bad moments because the pollen count is in the bazillions, but I love the color and I love the light in the evening.

I particularly enjoyed the latter driving home from dinner and shopping with Gblvr -- first time this year we've met when I left to go home at nearly 8 p.m. and the sky was still light. I had a cheese crepe, she had Indian food, and we did a bit of shopping -- I cleverly wore the Lilly Pulitzer skirt that I got on eBay for $20 so I could find a shirt that would match it, and Sephora was having a skin care giveaway, and I had a freebie coupon for Bath & Body Works, so it was a totally delightful and not very expensive evening. Plus I got a new episode of Nikita (with Alex and Amanda playing mind games, and Michael and Nikita being awesome). Yay! Lewis Ginter reptiles, birds, and flowers:















No comments: