Saturday, April 09, 2011

Poem for Saturday, Winterthur, Beyond the Farthest Star

Sonnet 34: Why Didst Thou Promise Such a Beauteous Day
By William Shakespeare


Why didst thou promise such a beauteous day,
And make me travel forth without my cloak,
To let base clouds o'ertake me in my way,
Hiding thy brav'ry in their rotten smoke?
'Tis not enough that through the cloud thou break,
To dry the rain on my storm-beaten face,
For no man well of such a salve can speak,
That heals the wound, and cures not the disgrace:
Nor can thy shame give physic to my grief,
Though thou repent, yet I have still the loss,
Th' offender's sorrow lends but weak relief
To him that bears the strong offence's cross.
Ah but those tears are pearl which thy love sheds,
And they are rich, and ransom all ill deeds.

--------

Friday was a gray, cold, rainy day, and I spent nearly all of it inside. I had to post a review of the first episode of the animated Star Trek, "Beyond the Farthest Star", I read a few chapters of a book that I wasn't in the mood for because I was wishing for more Hunger Games, and I watched the news to see whether the Republicans were really going to shut down the government in order to prevent poor women from getting birth control. (Sounds like the shutdown won't happen tonight but as I am typing this the vote hasn't gone through yet.) Daniel's team is in eighth place currently at the NC competition, hoping to move up tomorrow.

My parents had dinner with friends from out of town, so Paul made Buddha's Delight for me and Adam, then we watched The Ruth Rendell Mysteries: Master of the Moor, which was quite enjoyable -- I couldn't decide whether I thought Colin Firth or his father was guilty, then they threw in a red herring, then I realized it was going to be really grim and remembered why I don't like psychological mysteries! Then we watched Starz's Camelot, which is pretty silly -- I am enjoying Eva Green's scenery-chewing and I'm happy to see a bunch of British actors I like, but it's not all that well written, I don't much like Guinevere, and Arthur is just not compelling enough for me to really root for him. Here are some more photos from Winterthur's gardens last week:















No comments: